Annecy to Thones: Land of Parapentes and Reblochon - French Alps 2017 - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2017

Annecy to Thones: Land of Parapentes and Reblochon

Somehow, we both slept last night over the noise of the road outside and the cracking of thunder and lightning and pouring rain. By morning, the sun was out and the air was noticeably lighter. We set off along the cycle path after a light petit dejeuner for the south end of Lake Annecy.

Lake Annecy cycle path is well used and in excellent condition, though the number of users diminishes as you get further away from Annecy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycle path is frequented by people of all ages and abilities. This was Wednesday, so not many other riders in this section.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This field of grain was overtaken by poppies. Not sure how this affects the harvest.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Along the way, we watched the paragliders sail overhead from the massif next to the lake. We stopped at the petit village of St. Ferreol to replenish our water from the eau potable town tap and then we began our ride up the Col du Marais.

View across Lake Annecy where parapenters we taking off from the high peaks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresh water is often available in mountain towns. This water bypassed an old water wheel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our col for the day, a petit climb to 843m to the Col du Marais.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Col du Marais a small summit in the valley to the east of Annecy that wound through hardwood forests and into a more alpine area where cattle roamed the meadows on the hillsides and the houses have a distinctly Savoie look.

Alpine lifestyle here centers on raising cattle for their milk, though the cows aren't in this photo. Their constantly jingling bells told of their whereabouts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a gentle climb to the col du Marais.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Savoyard houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the summit, we cruised down to the town of Thones, which is a gateway to a huge recreational area in the alps. Le Grande Bournon massif is close by and from what we can see, it's a nordic skiing hotbed here in winter. Summer is for ultra running, via ferrata (scaling a rock face while clipped into a permanent line), rock climbing, cycling, VTT (mountain biking), hiking, and white water spots. It also has a history in the Resistance and there is a large hilltop memorial nearby. We were booked into a small hotel at the edge of town.

St. Maurice Church in Thônes with its onion bulb clock tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we prepared to head for a local creperie for dinner the sky cracked open and the thunder and light show began. We borrowed a parapluie and made a dash for the restaurant. We both had a breton crepe with a savoie twist: potatoes, reblochon, and chicken. It was delicious but mighty filling. Afterwards, we headed back to our room and bid goodnight to the sheep in the little house on the hill.

Breton crepe with potato, chicken and reblochon cheese, accompanied by a Savoie white wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sheep had a cool little house on the grassy slope outside our room. No wifi or television, though.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,216 km (755 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0