Southern California mountain/coast loop 1998 - 1988-2002 Bike Tours - CycleBlaze

April 25, 1998 to May 4, 1998

Southern California mountain/coast loop 1998

The inland part of this route was a group tour led by Bil Paul, my third segment on the Pacific Crest bike route.

10 days, 578 miles (925 km). Burbank airport to LAX airport.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were not able to pedal the highest portion of the Angeles Crest highway because it was closed due to deep snow. That was a disappointment but we had the benefit of seeing far more snow than usual on the San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains in late April.

Roadside view of San Bernardino 5000 feet below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
San Bernardino mountains after exceptional winter snow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing from Banning to Idylwild. San Bernardino mountains in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cuyamaca Rancho State Park high in the Laguna mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the end of the tour I pedaled solo on the coast from San Diego to Los Angeles.

San Diego.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Northern San Diego county.
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Onofre State Beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This was my first tour on a recumbent bike, a new Speed Ross short wheelbase recumbent imported from Cornwall, England.

To avoid crossing Los Angeles I flew into Burbank airport and flew out of LAX airport.

On this tour I carried small VHF ham radio equipment but didn't use it very much.

The weather was warm and sunny. We camped 8 of 9 nights but stayed at a motel in Big Bear Lake (8000 feet elevation) where it was predicted to go below freezing.

This was a magical tour because it took place after a strong El Nino winter. The landscape was unusually green and the mountains had an unusual amount of snow. Southern California at its best!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0