To Wairoa - New Zealand 1991 - CycleBlaze

December 31, 1991

To Wairoa

After a peaceful night, soothed by the steady cooing of swans, we awoke (on New Year's Eve!) to the sound of fairly heavy rain on the tent.  We spent close to an hour stalling around in the tent, waiting to see what the weather would bring, before finally deciding to make a break for it during one of the dry spells.

This proved to be a tough day, with a number of difficult climbs and the constant threat of rain.  All in all we were reasonably lucky - we got wet but not drenched.  We began with a fairly easy, rolling stretch to Putorino where we broke for tea and a snack.  THe next spell brought the longest climbs.  We had a short picnic on the bank of the Mohaka, beneath a spectacular railway overpass.  From the high point it was generally downhill to Waihoa on the coast, with the last 20k an easy downwind cruise.

We stayed at the Wairoa motorcamp for New Year's Eve.  The rather assertively friendly proprietress invited us out to the club for drinks and a swim, but we passed on it.  We hung our wet gear from every available hook and ledge in our cabin, and then went out for a rather strange dinner at the Clyde Family Hotel.  Rachael had a 'Hawaiian steak' - ham steak with pineapple - and I had the 'roast of the day' - corned beef covered with creamy onion sauce - not my favorite.   The whole restauraunt setting was quite odd - very slow service, with a Christian radio station playing loudly in the background.  By 10 we were more than ready to doze off to see in the new year.

Black swans at dawn, Lake Tutira
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Mohawk River
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Mohawk River
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 871 miles (1,402 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0