To Omaio - New Zealand 1991 - CycleBlaze

January 4, 1992

To Omaio

The whole day was spent hopping from beach to beach on the edge of the Bay of Plenty.  This area is called the Sunshine Coast, and for us it lived up to its name.  We enjoyed clear blue skies all day, giving us an endless series of lovely views of iridescent blue and sparking white waves.  The neighboring hills are mostly dark native brush - the coast itself is frequently rimmed with lovely pohutakawas, some of which are still in bloom.  We are a week or so past their prime, it seems.  With their lovely bright red blossoms, they are aptly named the New Zealand Christmas tree.

Features or highlights of the day included:

 - Rachael awoke after a very uncomfortable sleep; we didn't pick a flat spot.

 - We enjoyed a lengthy period of basking on the beach at Whangaparaoa, next to Cape Runaway, and both got a bit sunburnt.

 - We once more found no significant settlements, and no good stores.

 - We had an embarrassing stop at a private beach where we misjudged an ambiguous access road.  We were found out and scolded by one of the apparent owners, who then let us stay there anyway.

 - We enjoyed a picnic dinner (more crackers, cheese, and peanut butter; yum!) on the beach near Te Kaha, with a lovely pohutakawa overhanging the water nearby; and where a generous camper approached us and offered a much appreciated pair of beers.

 - We encountered fairly stiff headwinds throughout the day.

 - We found a nice selection of tent sites in the public camping facility at Omaio.

The Waipahu River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Waipahu River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pohutakawa trees
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pohutakawa trees
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Bay of Plenty
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up the Waiahu
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soaking it all in, Runaway Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guarding the Omaio marae
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Omaio marae
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 1,116 miles (1,796 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0