To Bayfield - The Superior ride - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2017

To Bayfield

We have one of the longest rides ahead of us today, and the weather looks unpromising.  We're almost certain to get wet for a good chunk of the day.  With seventy miles of riding to fit in we head over to the Sawmill Saloon for breakfast right when it opens at seven to give ourselves as much flexibility as possible.

Last night the Saloon was packed, rowdy and noisy.  This morning there are only a couple of apparent locals parked at the bar, and ourselves.  Last night's rowdiness was better, because this morning there's nothing to drown out Fox and Friends.

Outside Lenroot Lodge, on our way to breakfast at the Sawmill Saloon. It's cold this morning - not much more than fifty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The steeds are all saddle up for the start of the Stubborn Mule Adventure Race, as soon as their riders finish breakfast. The race is an ultra-endurance event, with three legs - mountain biking, river canoeing, and trail running.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The day's ride begins with a quick seven mile run up the highway to Cable.  We had considered coming up here for breakfast to get a bit earlier start to the day, but decided against it for no obvious reason.  We stopped here anyway though, to pick up lunch materials - Cable has the only store we will encounter in the first fifty miles.  In fact, were not sure if we'll find any services at all in these miles, until Washburn at about mile 55.

Just past Cable we leave the highway for a short detour onto much quieter Blue Moon Road.  This is a beautiful, quiet short alternative to the highway.  Partway up Blue Moon it begins raining lightly.  We put on our rain boots (we already had our rain jackets on, because it's so cold) and continue on.  Soon we're back on the highway briefly before turning off again onto county highway H.  We'll be on empty county highways like this for the next thirty miles.

It lightly rains for about twenty five miles.  It's not terribly wet, but it's pretty cold.  I'm getting a bit concerned about Rachael, who for some reason didn't pack quite suitably for the trip - she didn't bring either long cycling pants or rain pants.  She's a bit prone to hypothermia, and I'm starting to worry about whether the weather might become a serious issue for her.  

Fortunately we find a spot to get out of the rain and warm up a bit in tiny Delta.  Surprisingly, there's a cafe.  It's obviously very popular, because there is a 45 minute wait for a table.  There's also a coffee stand next door though, with room inside to stand around.  We choose that option, and stand around warming up over tea and coffee for about twenty minutes.  We're entertained while we're there by the cheerful, garrulous college student running the stand.  It's National Dairy Month, he announces, and offers us a free scoop.  We turn him down.

Heading through the northern woods on beautiful Blue Moon Road. We're enjoying a few off-highway miles, and a few dry ones. That's about to change - it will begin raining lightly soon and continue for the next twenty five miles.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Twenty minutes later, warmed up again, we hit the road afain.  It's still raining lightly, but in about five miles it stops for the day.  The remaining miles go quickly, as we're trending downhill toward Lake Superior and have picked up a very nice tailwind.  We have brief stops in Moquah to eat our sandwiches; at the Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center; and again in Washburn to look around briefly.  

We arrive in Bayfield at about 4:30, just in time to wash up and think about dinner.  An hour later we're happily sitting down in Ethyl's at 250, a characterful Italian restaurant, one of the best of this short tour.  

Twenty five miles later, and we're biking through isolated county roads. The rain is finally tapering off, and conditions will steadily improve for the rest of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just south of Ino (pronounced eye-no) on Highway G.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch break at Saint Peter and Paul Catholic Church in tiny Moquah. Rachael in her purple jacket can barely be seen at the top of the access ramp. Moquah, in case you wondered, is the Algonquin word for bear.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Northbound on Highway 13, south of Washburn. A bit of blue sky at last!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our first sighting of the Great Lake, in Washburn
Heart 1 Comment 0
The former Bayfield County Bank, Washburn
Heart 1 Comment 0
A mural on the side of the Washburn Iron Works, a third generation family business in Washburn that recently celebrated its fortieth anniversary. The mural was commissioned by the founder of the business about 20 years ago. It's in such fine condition that it must get restored from time to time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Starting around Washburn, fields of lupine become a common sight in clearings beside the highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The historic Bayfield State fish hatchery, still in use today, stands a few miles down the coast in Salmo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Madeline Island, from the Bayfield waterfront
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Bayfield
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ring billed gull, Bayfield
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 378 miles (608 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0