Tre Cime di Lavaredo (hike) - An Autumn by the Sea - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2018

Tre Cime di Lavaredo (hike)

I keep a mental ledger of outstanding hikes that I have taken in my life, and more or less rank them.  I’m prone to take a myopic view of new experiences, so today our walk beneath Tre Cime feels like the greatest hike ever.  I’m sure that over time it will settle in comfortably in my memory with the other greats, which of course are all so distinctive that you can’t really rate them.  There’s no doubt though that this will remain one of the brightest stars on the ledger.

First off, I want to give thanks to the weather gods with blessing us with such an outstanding day for the hike.  Cloudless, crystalline, warm, the day could hardly be improved upon.  I’m sure this hike would always be stunning, but we sure feel blessed right now.  I assume that many of you have been following the Classens also, and know that they were here just a few days ago also.  But just in case you missed it, here’s their look at this hike under quite different conditions.

Our hike began at the parking lot below Rifugio de Auronzo, where we locked up our bikes in a secure location.  From there we hiked to Rifugio de Lavaredo beneath the southern face of the three famous chimneys,  surely the most popular walk up here because it is so easily accessible (we even saw a woman pushing her child in a stroller), and stopped there to polish of the remains of last night’s pizza and chase it with pastries from the refuge.  Afterwards we climbed over a low ridge and passed beneath the peaks on the northern, shaded side.  With enough time, we could have continued on and completed a loop; but the trail choices were getting rougher and we were starting to get concerned about time so we just backtracked the way we came in.  Awesome both ways, of course.

The view southeast from Refugio Auronzo. At the far end of the canyon is Auronzo di Cadore, where we stayed the night before last.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The scar across the scree slope is the hiking path. It looks precarious from this perspective, but it’s wide, level and very safe - as long as the rocks above stay put.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I love this massive formation just south of Tre Cime. At the right looks like a giant double helix.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The routes here are clearly marked and signed. Easy to find your way as long as you’re paying attention.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Those pesky cyclists. They’re giving us all a bad name.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is such an amazing place. The Tre Cime are famous, but the peaks and ranges surrounding them in all directions are wonderful too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Approaching Rifugio Lavaredo, our break stop for the day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This area is littered with giant disc shaped rocks like this one that look like the remnants of a collapsed chimney. For scale, note that there are several tiny hikers beneath it to the right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing the eastern shoulder of Cime Piccola (Little Peak)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back at the Tre Cime from the east. The nearest and shortest is Cima Piccola (Little Peak), and the larger one visible immediately behind it is Cime Grande (Large Peak).
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back at Rifugio Lavaredo as we cross over to the north side of the three pinnacles.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The three chimneys cast their shadow
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a wasteland! It reminds me of some settings in southern Utah.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I forget the name of this third Ritugio, on the northwest side of the formation. We turned back the way we came not long past this point.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The north side is the best vantage point for the formation. The light is better on the south side, but the trail is too close to their base to get them all into the frame. From left to right (east to west): Cime Piccola (Little Peak), Cima Grande (Large Peak), and Cima Oveste (Western Peak).
Heart 4 Comment 0
Scrambling up the scree. It’s hard to see that there’s even a trail in here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The look says it all.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Jen RahnLeftover pizza with a pastry chaser ... ah the privileges of distance cycling.

The scenery is so stunning, it looks fake. What an incredible experience!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnIt really is uniquely spectacular. I still can’t believe we were so lucky with the day.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanIt's gotta be fake.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanI knew someone would figure it out. Actually, we’re holed up in Vegas.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago