Antibes - An Autumn by the Sea - CycleBlaze

November 7, 2018

Antibes

So this is really brief, because it’s the next morning now, the weather looks fair, and we must ride.  Perhaps I’ll come back later and elaborate, or not.

The weather forecast for the day was for solid rain all day, occasionally heavy.  It actually looked marginal when we got up, and perhaps if we had started riding right at dawn we could have gotten in our 32 mile ride to Antibes.  We decided to trust the forecast though, and were glad we did.  Not long before leaving for the station, an intense downpour began.

So, one mile of biking for the day: a half mile from our apartment to the nearest train station; and a half mile from the Antibes station to the next apartment, an ultra-narrow space that includes a full kitchen, washer and dryer.  It’s perfect - nearly everything you need is within arm’s reach.

It was wet and grey most of the afternoon, so we didn’t see much of Antibes.  So not much to say, really. Venimus, vidimus, edimus. (Who said there was no point to my studying Latin in high school?)

The view west toward Italy. We were lucky to get this shot. Rachael looked up and saw the sunrise reflected in the huge TV in our apartment, so I grabbed the camera and dashed across the street.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Bill Shaneyfelt"Red sky at morning. Sailor take warning." Accurate this time, and nice picture!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat’s funny. I thought about captioning it that way actually, but decided against it because we aren’t sailing.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
It barely shows up in this light, but the spray against the shore is shredded seaweed exploding skyward with the waves.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our home in Menton. We’re in the first floor of the building on the right, just above the Giotto sign. If it’s still available the next time we come through, I’m sure we’d stay in the same place.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Well, on second thought perhaps we should take the train after all.
Heart 2 Comment 1

xxx

I love the French trains: people friendly, bike friendly, dog friendly.
Heart 4 Comment 0
After our palatial lodgings in the last week, we’re a bit taken back at the narrow apartment in Antibes. It’s like living in a slot canyon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kathy and CJ, an adventurous young couple from Seattle off on their first tour of Europe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Antibes, and back in Provence - I love all the streets and roads lined with plane trees here in the south.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the ramparts, Antibes
Heart 0 Comment 0
We didn’t linger outdoors long for two reasons: one, Rachael is still chilled from getting wet on the ride from the train station. And two, the rains returned. Great conditions for seeking out a museum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking across the bay toward Nice
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Picasso Museum is open, and gratuit (free) today for some reason.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Head of a Woman (1936)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Minotaur with a Cart (1936)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bathers Wathcing an Aeroplane (1920)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Straw Hat with Blue Leaves (1936)
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Card Game
Heart 1 Comment 0
La Joie de Vivre (1946)
Heart 2 Comment 0
A Joan Miro (Femme et oiseau, 1982), and the Antibes cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesCould be "femme et oiseau", 1982
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThe guy seemed to like women and birds, just at the end of his life. There is also a statue of this name in Barcelona, from 1983.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThat’s it! Thanks. Counts as a people photo too, I believe. Thanks for alerting me to the tiled one in Barcelona also - we’ll have to watch for it at the end of the road.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The Goddess of the Sea, by Joan Miro (1962). I wonder if this wasn’t the inspiration for Bill the Cat, from the old Bloom County comic strip.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The all important ritual: the menu crawl
Heart 1 Comment 0
A half bottle of Sancerre, with my dinner date and our bemused server. I included her in the frame for a change because her color fits so well.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Still Life in a Slot Canyon (2018)
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 1 mile (2 km)
Total: 2,198 miles (3,537 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0