Day 30 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 21, 2018

Day 30

Kerrville, Tx - Johnson City, Tx

Miles: 55.7     Elevation gain: 1,692.6   Max Grade  6.3%

A day without flats or bike breakdown is always a good riding day

Tim spent the evening before reworking our GPS ride routes using advice from other riders as well as the cycling association maps, especially around the Austin area. Our children were concerned about us going to Austin with the series of bombs recently, relief today for them and us when we heard that he had taken care of himself.

We continued our ride through Texas Hill Country, most of which was on highway #290.  Our biggest  challenge was the long, steep hill right out of Kerrville . We all agreed it was not a fun way to start the day. The remainder of the ride consisted of a lot of rollers and beautiful Texas scenery. We spotted buffalo, baby elk, sheep and goats along with the huge Texas cattle. If yesterday was rodeo country today was wine country . We passed winery after winery, some with the most colorful names. I think had we not been 25 plus miles from Johnson City we might have been tempted to stop and do some tasting.

We are in Johnson City tonight, home of former president Lyndon B. Johnson. Its a charming place. We didn't  have time to tour the Johnson park and house earlier today, perhaps on a car road trip sometime.

Tomorrow we will arrive  in Austin and spend a rest day there. We need to pick up parts for Donna's bike and do some repairs. We want to spend some time sight seeing as well. 

our route map
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Nimitz, Tx.
Heart 0 Comment 0
west of Johnson City, Texas
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An area to be re-visited someday
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 1,330 miles (2,140 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0