Day 20 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 9, 2018

Day 20

How We Learn to Love the Wind

Tim has been following Rob & Gary's blog, the guys we met last weekend. Based on their last posting on road conditions and motel reviews , think roach Motel, he made some route changes for today and tomorrow. Today we left the BW Motel here in Clint, Texas and road 45.5 miles South East on interstate #10. This took us to Esperanza and a truck stop. Its pretty desolate in this part of Texas and clean motels can be hard to find, so with that in mind we took the SAG vehicle  and drove back to the motel we stayed in last night. Tomorrow we'll drive back to our ending point and bike forward. We've secured lodging in a motel and in a campground for the next two nights.  Riding interstate highways can be a little intimidating as I've mentioned before esp. with speed limits of 80mph, none of us could get our bikes moving that quickly :) . We found drivers, and esp. truck drivers to be very considerate  and move over to the left lane when they could.  A very favorable wind from the north-west helped us cruise along today. Tim did suffer a chain come off and bent derailed but he was able to fix it quickly.  

Hot desert country side gave rise to "dust devils" small sand twisters.We did see a number of them off in the distance and I tried to capture some in pictures.  A satisfying  ride today. 

Jua'rez Mexico as see from our motel room
Heart 2 Comment 0
New Riders of the Southern Tier: Tim,Maggie,Donna,Jeff
Heart 4 Comment 0
not a good time for a chain to slip off and a derailer to bend
Heart 1 Comment 3
Mike MontgomeryI think I shall make a "coffee table book" of photos of Tim fixing bikes on the side of the road. I need a catchy title though.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Mike MontgomeryIt will be a best seller i’m sure
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Lynda ReidOH please be careful while stopped to repair so close to a live lane!! I was showing my brother your route and he was quite familiar with route 10 from his days behind the wheel.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
"Dust Devil" front right corner of photo
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 801 miles (1,289 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0