Day 18 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 7, 2018

Day 18

Columbus NM, to Dona Ana,NM

Tim and Maggie
Heart 2 Comment 0
Donna
Heart 2 Comment 0

A sunny day of riding along highway#9 for 55 miles. Temperature although a cool 40F this morning  warmed up nicely to  60's by afternoon. We rode 62.3 miles with an elevation of 742feet.  A fun surprise today was the appearance of Inuksuks along one stretch of the highway. For centuries, the Inuit people of Canada's Arctic stacked rock in human form to create the Inuksuk, a steadfast guidepost that provided direction across the vast horizons of the North. Over time, the Inuksuk has become a symbol of hope and friendship, an eternal expression of the hospitality of a nation that warmly welcomes ..

Inukshuk
Heart 3 Comment 0

As we ride closer and closer to Texas you are reminded that this is cattle county and cattle ranches  often have open ranges. To prevent cattle from wandering down the highways "cattle grates" are installed into the ground either at ranch entrances and often across roads themselves. 

cattle grates
Heart 2 Comment 0

Sadly we say Goodbye to Vicki and Bill Sadin who leave us tomorrow. We have enjoyed getting to know them and look forward to seeing them again in Alabama but for now we  wish them a safe journey back to New Orleans. 

Farewell dinner at the State Line BBQ in El Paso, Tx.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike MontgomeryTexas BBQ .... I remember those days well , hope you tried the links.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 713 miles (1,147 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0