Vaison la Romaine: Let the cycling begin - Cycling Provence - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2017

Vaison la Romaine: Let the cycling begin

Yesterday we spent the AM touring around Avignon some more before we met out group at the train station from where we were transported by bus to Vaison la Romaine a 13th century town. Mont Ventoux is ever present on the eastern horizon so I may just have to give it a go. It was a full day yesterday so no time to blog. We are staying in a very quaint inn up and I mean up in the high town. It is so steep to get here we park our bikes in a garage at the bottom of the hill and walk up and down each day in running shoes not cycle shoes so we don't slip on the cobblestones. We ceratinly won't ride up here. Apparently on the last trip a woman did not heed this advice and she fell and broke her hip on day 1. If last night's meal of gaspacho, guinea fowl with provenciale vegetables, an apple tart and of course wine is any indication we are in for a culinary treat. Today Kelly and I did a ride of 65km and 1800ft. Kelly did very well considering how little riding she has done. We rode through classic wine country with vineyards everywhere. Future rides may be shorter for her because they will get hillier. It is very warm (32C/87F) and it was also windy so we that made everything a little tougher.

A very tasty biscuit shop in Avignon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the famous bridge over the Rhône from the scenic view on the hill overlooking town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Popes Palace again
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed a multitude of wineries on our ride today
Heart 0 Comment 0
The typical view of the region that we rode through today
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical vine of many years. The rocks around the base are significant. They keep the vines cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kelly at the top of the climb today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who knew we would have a special sink for laundry in our room.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe always wondered what the damn things were for. HAHA
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 65 km (40 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0