Okanagan, WA to Republic, WA - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 21, 1996

Okanagan, WA to Republic, WA

Rhona, as a "Tailgunner"

There was only one way to characterize today's ride...headwind, headwind, headwind!! It was a 59 mile gradual ascent but the wind made even level and downhill sections difficult to pedal. I was whipped, and of course Dave takes the brunt of the wind. We stopped at the Regal Fruit Co-op, hoping to buy a few apples, and the woman didn't charge us for them and also told us about how her children did a coast to coast trip. Everywhere we go people tell us how they or someone they know cycled cross country. An older gentleman stopped and offered us assistance when we were walking up the mountain, and I explained that I was looking for an outdoor restroom! We saw him again at the store near the top of Wauconda Summit and he expressed such an interest in our trip. This is one of the highlights of the trip...meeting and talking to so many locals and other cyclists.

Wauconda Pass, ele. 4310 ft.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We moteled for the second night in a row; we're getting in so late. I blame Dave for not getting up and getting on the road earlier! 

 WE WERE CHASED BY A ROTTWEILER THAT MEANT BUSINESS TODAY, BUT RHONA WAS ACCURATE AGAIN WITH HER FIRST SPRAY OF "HALT", MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE IN LIGHT OF THE STRONG WIND AT THE TIME. SHE IS NOW "TWO FOR TWO". I HOPE THE WORD SPREADS TO DOGS FURTHER UP ALONG THE ROUTE."STAY AWAY FROM THE FUNNY LOOKING BICYCLE WITH THE TWO PEOPLE". 

 Deer are everywhere! Terrain was the same as yesterday, desert-like mountains, sagebrush, actually very boring. Unfortunately, I fear that most of America's heartland will be similar to this. Four days in Washington and so far no rain!

Today's ride: 73 miles (117 km)
Total: 284 miles (457 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0