Washington Pass to Okanogan, WA - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 20, 1996

Washington Pass to Okanogan, WA

WE LEFT THE "LAND OF LATE WINTERS" THIS MORNING AND IMMEDIATELY DESCENDED FOR ANOTHER FIVE MILES. MYSTERIOUSLY, THERE WAS NO SIGN OF THE WHIP RHONA USED ON ME LAST NIGHT. THIS MORNING, SHE KEPT PULLING ON THE BIT, WANTING TO SLOW US DOWN. WE HAD BREAKFAST IN A "GENERAL STORE" IN MAZAMA WHICH APPEARED TO BE PART OF A DUDE RANCH. THE SANDWICHES WERE VERY GOOD. THE WIND WAS IN OUR FACE UNTIL MIDDAY AND AS PROMISED BY LOCALS THE DESERT BEGAN. THE CLIMB UP LOUP PASS WAS MUCH EASIER THAN YESTERDAY'S CLIMB AND THE DESCENT WAS GREAT. ON THE WAY INTO OKANAGAN WE PASSED IRRIGATED APPLE ORCHARDS. IF IT ISN'T IRRIGATED, THEN IT'S SAGE BRUSH.

Washington's desert area
Heart 0 Comment 0

SINCE THERE WAS NO OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN UP LAST NIGHT, WE STOPPED AT A MOTEL TONIGHT. WE ATE AT THE "APPLE INN" WHOSE DECOR IS A POOR IMITATION OF THE "STRAY CAT INN" IN OUR HOME TOWN, NO CONSISTENT THEME. THE TANDEM IS WORKING FINE, ALTHOUGH THE CAMPING GEAR GET'S HEAVIER BY THE DAY. 

Although I've been advised not to include a discussion of food in a journal, I just have to say more about the Mazamo Store.

Mazama General Store -for "granola people"!
Heart 0 Comment 0

It had such a neat atmosphere...Mother Earth/L.L. Bean type, with homegrown/natural products and employees in Birkenstocks. I had the most fabulous orange scones for breakfast! We met two more people who had cycled cross country. One was the postal employee who didn't even charge me for a mailing envelope to send items back home. People continue to be incredibly friendly. One retired couple from Florida (they had lived in McDowell County, WV years ago) stopped on the roadside to take our picture and get our name and address. Our WV license plate had attracted their attention. Motorists continue to be courteous. One highway worker held traffic to let us pass (going uphill!) and we even saw a sign warning cyclists of a hazard. I wish WV was as cycling friendly.

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 211 miles (340 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0