Newport, ID to Clark Fork, MT - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 24, 1996

Newport, ID to Clark Fork, MT

Ants in pants!

Torrential downpour this morning/early afternoon, very worrisome and unpleasant. Nice bike route over Lake Pend Orielle (Idaho); it was the old bridge, the motor vehicles use the adjoining new bridge.

Pend Oreiille River; The old bridge is exclusively for pedestrians and cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a late start again, it rained in the night, everything was soaked, packing was a hassle. Seemed like slow riding too, although not much uphill. We do seem to stop frequently to add or remove clothing. The lake was gorgeous, reminded us so much of Uncle Ross's place on Kootenay Lake in British Columbia. Yesterday's ride through eastern Washington was supposed to be a desert, but our route followed green fields and wooded hillsides, just like today. Ants in my pants! The "behind a bush" roadside bathroom facilities leave something to be desired! Spent the night in a hostel on a ranch. It was a nice little cabin surrounded by lots of farm animals.

Animal life at the hostel in Clark Ford, ID. The beginning of Dave's fascination with swine!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The foal had been born this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked around with a cyclist, Ed, who had been a bike messenger in San Francisco who was staying in the next cabin. A colt had been born that morning; He was learning to nurse. Pigs roamed free, came right up to nuzzle around the bike, so we brought everything into the cabin. 

 I HAD TO SWAT ONE OF THE PIGS IN THE SNOUT TO KEEP IT OUT OF A PANNIER, BUT IT DIDN'T SEEM TO CARE.

Rabbits, goat, sheep, peacocks, miniature, and full size horses, cows, cats, dogs, some putting on a show by fighting. I saw a new type of blue bird, very bright, light blue with no orange breast. They flitted from post to post to welcome us down the driveway...shades of Walt Disney! We saw signs in store windows and in yards saying "We support." or "This family supported by the timber industry."

Week 1 503 miles

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 503 miles (810 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0