Long Prarie, MN to Milaca, MN - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 11, 1996

Long Prarie, MN to Milaca, MN

Things that are good for the soul

81.46 miles today. I tried to get Dave to ride around the block so we could round up to 82 miles, but he said it would be "good for my soul" to have to round the number down. Otherwise, another pleasant day rolling through Minnesota farmland, although fewer lakes.

First view of the Mississippi River; Those aren't specks of dirt in the air, the are some of the many birds flying over the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wheat fields appeared for the first time; saw soybeans and corn a few days ago. Most cows stare at us; we even caused a stampede one day. All the horses watch us till we're out of sight. You can tell we're in dairy country-they put butter on everything, even a turkey sandwich. (The bovine odor also gives it away).

You can almost smell the manure in this picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tornado, flood, and thunderstorm warnings in effect tonight; very glad not to be in a tent. 

THE COOK AT THE PIZZA RESTAURANT CALLED HER HUSBAND WHO WRITES FOR A LOCAL WEEKLY PAPER. HE MET US AT THE MOTEL AND INTERVIEWED US AND TOOK OUR PICTURE. WE EXCHANGED E-MAIL ADDRESSES AND I PROMISED TO SEND OUR JOURNAL TO HIM. 

 The reporter had his three energetic young boys with him so it was an amusing interview. Jeff said it was a shame we didn't do the northern Lake Itasca route because the country is beautiful. That's definitely a drawback to rushing across the miles.

Today's ride: 81 miles (130 km)
Total: 1,971 miles (3,172 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0