Only 6000 km to go!: The Drive Home - Crocodile Dreaming - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2013

Only 6000 km to go!: The Drive Home

From Broome, by car with the bikes and camping equipment, we bee-lined it home via The Great Northern Highway to Perth, then directly east across Western Australia, South Australia northern Victoria and western New South Wales into the Australian Capital Territory and home.

The stages were Broome - Mt Newman - Perth - Balladonia - Ceduna - Renmark - Canberra

The aim was to get home quickly, not to sight-see and we were travelling at least 1000 km per day, so the notes and photos of these six days are scant.

I tip my helmet to cycle-tourists who actually ride these vast, open stretches of the continent. The distances are mind-boggling.

Below are a few pics for your amusement from our six day sprint down and across the continent.

The first two days of the homeward drive with the bikes aboard.Mostly on the heavy mining machinery infested Great Northern Highway through the region of Western Australia known as the Pilbara.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We bobbed...
Heart 0 Comment 0
We weaved...
Heart 0 Comment 0
We ducked...
Heart 0 Comment 0
... and we dodged the endless stream of heavy mining machinery heading into the Pilbara along the Great Northern Highway.If the mining boom is on the wane, then this road must have been a nightmare at its peak.These pics are just a small sample of what we passed in 2000 km
Heart 0 Comment 0
The final four days of this journey took us from Perth to Canberra across parts of four states.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Says it all. This on the Eyre Highway. Many, many people have cycled it. I am not sure I see the appeal of that much long, straight road on a bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sample...there is plenty more of this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An alternative way to cycle the Nullabor...an exercise bike on the roof of one our fellow car travellers across the continent.Begs the question if he leapt onto it periodically to get some exercise.These long drives are a very inactive activity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watch out for Royal Flying Doctor planes landing on the highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one is the real deal. At least it claims to be the real deal...
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sign on the rusty relic bike...
Heart 0 Comment 0
That's it. No trees. Zilch. Zero. Null. A section of the famous Nullarbor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And just when you thought tasteful street art was lacking in Australia...A South Australian roadhouse steps up to the mark with this free tourist attraction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0