Off we go to start cycling - Costa Rica Trails - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2022

Off we go to start cycling

We have quite the United Nations on this ride with 4 Canadians, 3 Americans, 3 Brits, 2 Belgians, 1 German and 1 from Holland.  Our guides are very good, knowledgeable and fun.

After a 3 hour drive we finally got on the bikes in very hot and humid weather.  The temperature was 30C with a humidex  above 35C which for this west coaster was way too hot.  The terrain was not that challenging nor was the distance but my heart rate was running in the mid 150s all day about 20 bpm too high for the effort due to the heat.  I was very happy that we didn’t go any further.  The ride today was all on sealed roads and the drivers were very respectful so there was no concern.  Once in La Fortuna we had lunch followed by a shower, laundry and some retail therapy for a new cycling jersey.  At 5 PM we all went to a local thermal bath but I spent most of my time in the cool bath rather than the hot one.

Tomorrow we have either a 45 or a 65km ride depending upon one’s preference.  It is over gravel roads with some hills and fording of streams.  I will decide how far I ride based upon how I feel in the heat, I have a healthy respect for heat stoke and I am not going to get it.

A 2 toed sloth in a tree.
Heart 2 Comment 0
He or she is scratching their belly. It is also missing part of one leg and its 2 toes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arenal Volcano hiding in the clouds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our lunch stop in La Fortuna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bike trailer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tonight’s hotel, it has AC and a pool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The name of the hot springs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three of the women on our trip enjoying the hot springs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Garmin info from today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ride with GPS route and profile.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 253 km (157 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0