Around Lake Arenal. - Costa Rica Trails - CycleBlaze

October 27, 2022

Around Lake Arenal.

Today was a very interesting day and something different from anything I have done before.  It was the hardest 45km because of the terrain and again the heat.  We started with a 30 min drive before we got on the bikes.  From there we rode 7km on hard surface to where we had to ford a fairly rapidly moving stream.  Our guide has to recce the stream to make sure the 4X4 vehicle could cross.  After the recce we all crossed with our bikes with some of us needing a little help.  The current was quite brisk and the water was up to our knees.  As a result of this crossing and 3 others I rode all day with wet feet.  After the 1st crossing we rode on gravel roads for the next 35km.  There were climbs and descents with some tricky bits.  I had several hike and bike sections due to the road conditions, steepness of the hills and high heart rate.  We rode around Lake Arenal and could see the volcano for most of the day.  We had a lovely picnic lunch beside the river before carrying on to Cañas at a lovely property called La Pacifica.

At the start today with my new Costa Rica jersey.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Arenal Volcano this morning from our hotel this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view. The mountain range to the left of the volcano is referred to the sleeping Indian.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The volcano from the other side of the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tim standing in front of the stream that we forded.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Me in the same place
Heart 1 Comment 0
Juan Carlos coming back from his recce.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the stream with the bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Again
Heart 1 Comment 0
Again
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me crossing the stream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 4X4 coming through the stream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the volcano across the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I can across this big dude on the road and I wasn’t messing with him.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At lunch I took off my shoes to get all of the sand out of my socks and shoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The guides preparing our lunch today. There was freshly made guacamole, refried beans, salsa and chips plus sandwich makings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The 2 of us with the volcano and lake behind us.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Enjoying a dragon fruit juice at our hotel upon arrival.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Heather ParryLove your new bike shirt Marg. But we’re feet all day doesn’t sound appealing. I see you’re not on an e-bike. Scenery looks beautiful. Hope you have the energy to keep your head up to enjoy the area.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heather ParryTo Heather ParrySorry Marg. I meant wet feet. Damn autocorrect.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ride with GPS route and profile.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 223 km (138 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0