Take Me Home - Country Roads - CycleBlaze

April 10, 2024

Take Me Home

Murrurundi to Tamworth 

“Take Me Home Country Roads” was playing in my head as soon as we passed through Nowlands Gap and crossed The Great Divide after a solid climb up the range from Murrurundi this morning. 

And as soon as the Liverpool Plains, Goonoo Goonoo and the hills of Tamworth came into sight, it felt like I was home. 

Our family moved to Tamworth from our home village Barraba (80km north of Tamworth) when I was about 10 years old, so I spent my formative years here. It’s 50 years since I left, but still feel a close connection to the country.

The 90km more of pedalling today also brought us to about halfway to the intended tour finish in Brisbane. 

And I’m thankful that donations for the ARLF scholarships, that I’m fundraising for with this ride, have also reached 50% of the goal. Another TV News  interview this afternoon may help boost donations. The story will be broadcast locally tomorrow.

Our luck with weather continued. Not only fine and cool, but we had a slight tailwind when we most needed it today.

Accommodation is a simple bunk cabin at Tamworth’s riverside Paradise Van Park near the city centre. $40 each is good value for a clean shelter with roof and walls close to town.

We’ve decided to have a rest day tomorrow.

Today’s high point. We are back in the Murray Darling Basin after a day or two in the Hunter River catchment.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the traditional country of the Kamilaroi People.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the best agricultural country in Australia
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking west
Heart 1 Comment 0
Big claim but the coffee at Wallabadah is very good.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was great to catch up with cousin Jeremy. He’s an engine driver for those massively long ore trains we’ve seen going by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The iconic Golden Guitar, symbol of Tamworth’s very successful Country Music Awards and Festival. The guitar is modelled on an instrument owned and played by Geoff Brown, dad of one of my best friends from school.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Record of my pulse rate yesterday. Not surprisingly, the pulse rate peaks correspond to hills being pedalled.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 670 km (416 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0