Only 4 Days Right? - From the Compound to the World - CycleBlaze

March 28, 2022

Only 4 Days Right?

The government announced a citywide lockdown would happen the next day in two phases.  First they would do a 4-day full-scale lockdown in Pudong across the river from March 28-31.   Then, when that finished, a 4-day lockdown in Puxi where we live from April 1-4.  Meanwhile, they would block off all the tunnels and subway lines criss-crossing the river the entire time.

This announcement was the beginning of the end of any public trust that still existed between the officials and the public.  Put simply, noboby believed a word of this.  We all figured, and correctly so, this was only at minimum and they would extend the lockdown for weeks if not months.  Public anger and anxiety was concentrated on the fact they were never straight with us and were evidently making things up as they went along.  Everything showed they had no handle on this thing at all.

Not surprisingly, there was full-blown panic on social media.  This coincided with people going mental at the supermarkets stocking up.  There might be plenty of food supply, but how are you supposed to get that delivered to your compound during a lockdown?  If people were going to starve, it would be due to logistics and city mismangement by these nincompoops in charge.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesHere in Canada over the whole course of the pandemic there was never any lockdown of the type where people were confined to their residences. Rather there were mask and vaccine mandates, the closure of various high risk businesses, restaurant capacity limits, and vaccine passports. The public health officials worked hard to keep the public on side with these various measures. But eventually it fell apart, culminating in paralyzing truck protests in Ottawa, resulting in the de facto capitulation of the health authorities and the lifting of most restrictions. They have now chosen to pretend the pandemic is over, despite their own data to the contrary.

It's amazing to read your account of much more stringent measures, and the apparent compliance of the public. Omicron is a tough opponent, but the society where you are seems to be fighting it on a war type footing. It's interesting, more so because there is almost no mention of this in Western media. OK, if you specifically enter "Shanghai Lockdown" into the Google News search you will get a smattering of references, but few if any major news outlets come up. This is a strange and powerful reporting role that you and Cycleblaze are playing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonWow! What a mess. Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us. I hope you can get out on your bike before to long.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Fit SteveTo Rachael AndersonThanks for following along. As I just updated, at this point, the situation looks far worse. We'll be lucky if we can leave the house, let alone a compound bike ride. This is really looking like Wuhan 2.0
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Fit SteveTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks for the comments. Yeah I'm astonished myself as to all that is happening, and trying my best to get the facts out. At some point I'll duplicate this to other sources also but it's interesting how the locus of the bicycle ties into this story so nicely
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Fit SteveTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI was able to find this recent article in the New York Times. Seems very accurate based on what I'm seeing on the ground

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/29/world/asia/china-shanghai-covid-lockdown.html
Reply to this comment
2 years ago