Day L8: Control Your Soul's Desire for Freedom - From the Compound to the World - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2022

Day L8: Control Your Soul's Desire for Freedom

Things are getting so crazy and absurd with this lockdown I really don't know what to say.   I try to rely heavily on authentic sources and personal experience for this journal, just like it's a cycle tour.  At some point it will be, I promise.   There are hundreds of real stories and fake rumors all milling and mixing around so it becomes quite a task to vet all the sources.  I try my best.  A knock-off effect of all this paranoia is that you can never trust anything that people are saying.  Is the source real or fake?  Let's not forget the lockdown itself was a rumor that later turned out to be true.  As a former friend even said, "This thing could go on for over a month"  I since blocked and deleted her for spreading rumors, but what do you know?  She was in fact a math major and actually got this correct.

Recently my wife had worked out a deal with a food store literally next door to our compound.  That store soon got shut down.  My guess is that too many other people were also using their illegal services.   Maybe it was the guard who tipped the police off for all we know.  At any rate, we no longer have that store as an emergency supply line.  Thank goodness we had the foresight to stock up as much as possible in advance.

Down to the last few remaining slices. Forget about resupply. Current market value has this costing about $20 per SLICE!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The absurdity of all is that the actual covid virus is irrelevant at this point.  What matters more than anything else is getting enough food to eat, that is survival.  The supply lines we've used to date are crumbling one by one.  

The latest tactic seems to be what are called 'group buys'.  The idea is that a group leader sets up a social media chat network in the compound.  Those organizing the group order massive supplies in bulk, which is really the only way to manage deliveries.  Then there is a group chat to buy, sell, or trade with others in the compound.

Some people are singing the praises of such an arrangement to "bring neighbors together".  Maybe that's true bue I'm seeing the corruption potential here.  In our compound at least, it also seems that foreigners we are not granted access to this network.  This is not the same with other compounds.  For whatever reason they really don't like us here.  My wife is treated like a foreigner too since she's married to me. 

But love them or hate them, the group buys are really the only option to get food.  That, or relying on tactics from student science fairs that they surely copied off the internet.

But hey, I tried this and it works. This was from a previous science fair.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Now this latest article really takes the cake.  To give you some context, there was a protest in a compound where residents organized a loudspeaker blaring messages at officials with some not-so-choice words.  In response, the officials organized a revenge broadcast with drones saying this:

Sleep Separately, Don't Kiss or Hug:  COVID-hit Shanghai's Officials Warn Residents

Amid a lockdown in China's Shanghai, residents have shared videos on social media, showing health workers making public announcements using megaphones.  "From tonight, couples should sleep separately, don't kiss, hug is not allowed and eat separately."  Workers were seen as saying.  Another video showed a drone announcing, "Control your soul's desire for freedom.  Do not open the window or sing."

This video obviously went viral and caught the attention of multiple international news outlets.

One has to wonder what the purpose of this is.  Is this the long awaited wet dream of the Chinese officials to keep the population in a permanent state of lockdown?  It seems to be natural for the powers that be to want this.  After all, we can be sure that they are not subject to the same lockdown measures

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Eva WaltersThanks Steve for your postings. There's some coverage of the Shanghai lockdown in The Guardian (and other western news outlets), but it's so valuable to get your first-hand reports. Keep on keeping on, and hopefully the situation will ease soon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonRiveting reporting, Steve. Thanks so much, and good luck.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Fit SteveThanks guys, there's some reasonable evidence this thing is going to last at least a month, probably until end of May
Reply to this comment
2 years ago