Day L51: Compound Biking Begins Again - From the Compound to the World - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2022

Day L51: Compound Biking Begins Again

Some news came in today.  

The neighborhood committee submitted an application for our compound.  There has not been a case for over 14 days so we are qualified for a zero case compound.  Next step will be releasing the whole compound soon.  Meanwhile, we can walk around inside the compound.

I had been doing stealth walking already.  Now this means I could up the ante to biking in broad daylight.  But first order of business, at night, was to get the bicycle out of hiding and assess the damages on it.

Heart 1 Comment 0

It had fared remarkably well underground for over 45 days and the tires were only a little soft.  This was an easy operation the next day to pump some air back in and then go riding.  I managed all but 1km.  I didn't want to overdo it because the white guys in hazmat suits were still lurking around the entrances to our specific building where it had been sealed off for almost a month prior.  Not that they would stop me, but a gradual return to biking felt like the best move.

Cmon pump it up, we gots to pump it up
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just the feeling of being on the bike again was exhilerating.   It almost didn't feel right, as if the tires were too soft, but after a few laps around I got the hang of things again.  

Well isn't that convenient. The green fences were put off to the side, threatening to be used again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The epicenter that caused the nearly month-long house confinement for our entire building and the suicide that happened in this unit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time for that sunshine compensation. Quite ridiculous that I'm wearing medical masks outdoors but it's necessary theatre.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Well go figure. Those guys in the harmat suits still lingering around
Heart 0 Comment 0

The compound bike rides morphed into walks when the sheer number of people standing, staring, and lingering around was making this thing unpleasant.  Besides having to dodge people constantly, it was like riding in a fishbowl.  Many neighbors, understandably, were bored out of their minds and just standing around outside chatting.  There was no privacy involved with this kind of biking and I wasn't having any fun.

On one of these walks I bumped into a Danish guy in a neighboring building doing the same thing.  The first words out of his mouth were, "What a fucking life we live, huh?"   We introduced ourselves and this led to a discussion on the pointlessness of what China is doing with covid as well as his plans for the next moves out of here.  We also got to talking about hobbies and he wants to do bike touring also.  I explained that it's not hard, all it takes is buying a decent bike and practicing on weekends.  Once we can get out here, maybe we'll do it.

Today's ride: 8 km (5 miles)
Total: 103 km (64 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI’m glad things are getting better but you are right about learning from what has happened and getting out when you can!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Fit SteveYeah I figure this moment was going to come eventually. The situation is going to improve for sure. Just today I enjoyed some more compound biking and sunshine. The thing is based on what happened in the past it is unforgiveable and we always have this hanging over our heads that they could do it again. Most of the population will no doubt forget about this over time and enjoy their regained freedom, but hardly anyone takes the long-term view around here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago