Lodging list - Colorado Colors Tour 2021 - CycleBlaze

Lodging list

Carbondale - Comfort Inn - great room. King size bed. Sofa for comfortable sitting. My room was in the newer wing, and was much larger than Allison's room in the old wing.  Breakfast was breakfast sandwiches, no eggs/potatoes/meat. $131. Prices vary wildly here. Weekends triple in price. You would think Carbondale would be cheaper than Aspen. It isn't on the weekends.

Aspen - Tyrolean Lodge - The lower level is least expensive, and easiest to get the bikes in. All rooms have three beds and a small kitchenette. No breakfast. Some street noise, as it's right on the main drag. Well located and an excellent price for Aspen. 

Glenwood Springs - this is a tourist town and there are many, many choices. The Silver Spruce Lodge - is well located, and well priced. I didn't stay this trip. Jim and Genny stayed both before and after the trip. They have not only rooms, but small apartments. Breakfast.

Eagle - Best Western - Room 136 was huge. Two beds. Sofa and coffee table. Bar area.  Hot breakfast - eggs/potatoes/meat. $147.63

Vail - Evergreen Lodge - I've never stayed in Vail, presuming it would be out of my price range. Jim found this excellent deal for us. Evergreen Lodge. Easy to access on Highway 6. Regular lodge, not fancy. Bikes in the lobby bicycle area. I had a comfy chair in my room.  Refrigerator in room. Microwaves in the lobby. Continental Breakfast. Restaurants were at Lion's Head - a much more reasonable walk once we figured out how to get there. $168.74

Frisco- Hotel Frisco - a lovingly cared for 1936 hotel, right downtown. My room, #101,  was very small. The bathroom was microscopic. I don't know how two people would have squeezed in. Jim and Genny had #100, with a king size bed and a big bathroom that Genny described in detail. No breakfast. $142.84

Fairplay - Riverside Inn - average  Motel 6 type place on the edge of town. I'd stay again. No breakfast. $127.00

Buena Vista - Super 8 - nice, nice employees. Way understaffed. The worst room of the trip.  Dirty carpet. Bathroom wasn't much better.  It's possible, if they get staffed, the cleaning problems will go away. I'll try the neighboring Best Western next trip. Hot breakfast. $153.53

Taylor Park Trading Post - They have cabins of varying sizes. This late in fall, only the two bedroom cabins, close to the store, were open (because the water lines were buried and wouldn't freeze). I had cabin 23 with a recliner. Jim and Genny had #22, with a fireplace, but no recliner. Both cabins had full kitchens, and a sofa. Both cabins could have used a deep clean. We were happy they were there and would stay again. $170.

Crested Butte - Old Towne Inn - I was very happy with the price and location. The room was average motel. Nothing notable either good or bad. Cookies in the lobby in the afternoon. Continental breakfast w/hard boiled eggs for protein. This is a pricey town. We were lucky to get this price. $139. Two queens. Another less expensive choice is the hostel. It's not as well located, but does have private rooms. The last time we stayed there, bikes had to stay outside until the lobby closed. Then they could come into the lobby area only. The Cristiana Guesthaus is another lower cost option, but they usually want two nights. Bikes go in the storage room there. 

Paonia - Redwood Arms - Lovingly cared for by resident owners. I had the premium room with three queen beds. What I really wanted was a comfortable chair, which I did not get. Ice in small bags from the front desk. Fridge and microwave. On the outside of town, far from food. $118.

I usually stay at the Rocky Mountain Inn, in town. Their larger rooms by the courtyard are very nice. The also have small rooms next to the street. 

Redstone - Redstone Cliffs Lodge - cabins of varying sizes and amenities. It's right on the river with a hot tub, and plenty of seating. This is one of my favorite towns, and places to stay - anywhere! I had cabin 5 this trip. One bed, fridge/microwave. $138. I'd like to strongly suggest staying here - even though Carbondale is a fast cruise down the road. You will love it.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0