Ok, now we're moving: Devil's Slide or Old San Pedro Road??? - SF to SDO 2012 - Coast Route - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2012

Ok, now we're moving: Devil's Slide or Old San Pedro Road???

Started off at the Hotel - Hotel Whitcomb is right in the middle of town on Market Street - it's okay - nice and central and a historic landmark - nice lobby.

Retraced my steps back through Golden Gate Park and back to what they have named the "Great Hiway" (Hiway 1). Pointed bike south and started pedalling, as planned. I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to go over Devil's Slide or around it on the Old San Pedro Road. I met a couple going the other way and they said it was steep, windy with no shoulder, but that the traffic was courteous. Decision made: up the Devil's Slide. It was just as described.... nice view down the cliff to the ocean far below. You don't want to be timid or afraid of heights on this bit of road. CalTrans is about finished with the new tunnel, should be up and running by the end of the year. Maybe they will keep the old road open for hikers and cyclists.

From there it was a pleasant ride along the coast with mild ups and downs to keep me busy. It was an absolutely fantastic ride.

Spent the night at the Half Moon Bay State Park Hiker/Biker site: $7.00 a night. Only one other hiker/biker there, Brad. He went the Old San Pedro Road route. He lives in LA and has done the trip a couple of times and says the Old San Pedro Road is a nice alternative - and no traffic, of course. I'll go that way next time around. It shows up on Google Maps and Google Earth.

Photos to come... once I can figure out how to get them from camera to malfunctining computer.

Devils Slide - where the paved shoulder ends just ahead in the photo it's about a 300 to 500 ft drop to the ocean below - sorry I didn't stop to measure it accurately. Quite a buzz zipping down the hill - I kept up with the traffic....
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 55 miles (89 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0