Marina to Wilderness - Coast2Coast - CycleBlaze

November 14, 2021

Marina to Wilderness

Time to get this ride started!  Today's ride began on a bluebird day with in downtown St. Pete and headed north to Starkey Wilderness Park.  The ride utilized 4 distinct trails...Pinellas, Tri-County, Starkey Gap and Starkey Blvd.  I began at Demens Landing Park.  I had hoped to dip my wheel in the Gulf to "christen" this adventure but as you can see access was a bit restricted.

Tampa Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0

After leaving Demens Landing I headed out on a designated bike lane.  Glad this ride began on Sunday...virtually no traffic and only 1.5 miles from the start the trail went directly past Tropicana Field and transitioned to a 12-foot-wide paved trails for 50+ miles.

Impressed with the designated bike lane to help get me out of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tropicana Field...great alternative trailhead with tons of parking!
Heart 0 Comment 0

For the first 10-12 miles the trail was quite urban with many road crossings and, thankfully, bike friendly overpasses.  The scenery began to improve.

Beautiful day for a ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As the Pinellas Trail continued north the trail passed through Clearwater, Largo, Dunedin, Seminole, Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs each community welcomed trail users. 

Great signage.
Heart 0 Comment 0

All of today's trails were in great shape and very well maintained.   The trails that paralleled roads, Tri-County and Starkey Blvd., were completely separated providing a surprisingly pleasant and safe experience.  A real highlight was the various murals...bridge supports and tunnels.

One of many many murals.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As the ride gradually transitioned from urban to suburban it concluded at the Starkey Wilderness Park where tomorrow's adventure begins.

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 53 miles (85 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0