Day 59: Chateauneuf de Pape to Arles - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2013

Day 59: Chateauneuf de Pape to Arles

When we planned this trip, we knew that Chateauneuf du Pape was 10 km off route, but we really wanted to see it. Now, to get back on the road to Avignon, we passed through the town again. So again we noted the amazingly rocky soil, the many Caves, and the chance to buy no doubt expensive bottles of wine.

Those famous "pebbles" in the soil.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some vintages are gone. Better snap up what's left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ok, these two cases will do.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Olive trees on a wall. As Canadians, we think seeing an olive tree is a big deal!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the last Caves as we leave town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh yeah. Grampies could probably cycle those 30,000 km and be back in under two years!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road to Avignon held a few interesting small towns, but the big one was Villeneuve les Avignon, just across the bridge. (No, not that bridge, it only goes part way across!). Villeneuve features Fort St Andre, built in 1292 by Philippe le Bel, a tower named after the same king, an abbey, and etc.

Beyond the Appellation Controlle area, much neater vines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tower of Plillip le Bel in Villeneuve les Avignon
Heart 0 Comment 0

From 1309 to 1376, Avignon rather than Rome was the seat of the papacy. It started when Clement V, who was French and elected in some kind of hung or troubled conclave, declined to move to Rome. I think the next five guys were also French. The papacy did not move back to Rome smoothly, and for two Avignon Pope's worth (Clement VII and Benoit XIII) there were competing Roman popes. These last two at Avignon are known as the anti-Popes.

Up on the bridge to Avignon closest to the famous one, the town was much larger and more impressive than we had imagined. Photos generally show the famous bridge, with the Papal palace behind, but that is all. In fact the townhas its entire ancient wall intact, and this encloses an area of many many city blocks, most jammed with old buildings.

The famous bridge of Avignon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panorama from the not famous bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avignon
Heart 0 Comment 0

We descended the bridge, stopping often to gawk at the St Benezet (famous) bridge, the walls, and towers. At the bridge itself we found that it has been turned into a tourist shakedown, with controlled access and a fee. However, this was heritage day, and the fee was waived. However access is by stairs, and we asked the Avignon tourism attendant about where to safely leave our bikes.The answer was the French version of "Get those bikes out of here, they're forbidden, I don't give a damn about your problem, and I won't watch them, not even for 5 minutes." Whether in French or English we will not repeat the comments we then directed to the tourism lady. She also turned her back when offered the chance of a starring role in this blog!

Bitchy tourism reps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We eventually stashed our bikes in this prison.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bridge, of course, is famous in no small part because of the song. There have been many versions of this over the years, and apparently the Canadian one is a recognized variant. All versions, I think, involve dancing on the bridge, and the Canadian version at least includes bows and curtsies. So here are the Grampies, Sur le Pont d'Avignon:

This shows how the wall is intact all around Avignon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Read about the bridge's origin and name
Heart 0 Comment 0
One verse of a veresion of the song much like ours
Heart 0 Comment 0
And one more verse
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grampies pedalled 3000 km to dance on this bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0

Into the town we enjoyed looking at the tourist junk, and the town square with its many cafes. Finally, we high tailed it for Arles.

We love tourist junk in the town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice dress
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lavender shop. Avignon is just on the edge of Provence
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avignon typical street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at the date on this building
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical menu in the main square
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cafes in the main square of Avignon
Heart 0 Comment 0
An Avignon scene
Heart 0 Comment 0

The outskirts of Arles (we have not seen the centre yet) has two layers. First there is car dealership land, including a McDonalds. Then there is housing with a sort of Mexican flair. No more stone row houses, here it's stucco villa style. The tourist map of the town shows 40 sites of interest in the old town. Yikes, we will need to rest up, or actually, probably it will be another lightening Grampie ride through!

Across the river at Avignon a rather annoying amusement park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Telephoto to the hill behind Avignon, from the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way to Arles
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cultivated olive trees!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many fruit orchards replaced vines between Avignon and Ar1es
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gorgeous apples (laboratory test model shown)
Heart 0 Comment 0
First olive oil producer, we are getting quite South now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gefahr of the day. Bulls demonstrating for better working conditions?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mega acres of grapes on the flat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These mountains appeared over our left shoulders. Anyone know which they are?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We understand bulls, horses, and flamingoes are big in the Camargue, coming up for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outskirts of Arles has much different architecture from towns we have passed througb in past days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fig tree. We are able to eat wild figs here!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 4,022 km (2,498 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0