Day 26: Mons Klint to Stubbekobing - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2013

Day 26: Mons Klint to Stubbekobing

YesterdayI referred to Mons island as a tourist zoo. That was based on what seemed from posters to be a very touristy development at the cliffs. In fact, the Geocentre there seemed very reasonable and restrained, though we were too early to see inside. More to the point, the Mons Klint area is truly a wonderful natural area.

Like cyclists who have come and blogged before us, we did not take advantage of the several multi km walks possible in the area. Rather we just walked the 504 steps to the base of the cliff, beside the centre. Just that, though, revealed an intriguing forest and then the amazing, photogenic, white cliffs and multicoloured sea.

The Mons Klint preserve features many area we did not visit
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a road to the Geo Centre, but this bike path was a fun if hillynway in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look Jeremy, there are many mountain bike trails here
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 504 steps down (and up)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colours of the sea at the cliff
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cliff - just a small part
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another look at this bit of cliff
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, oh telephoto revealsmpirate ship on the horizon
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a photogenic area
Heart 0 Comment 0
This could be good for smartphone wallpaper
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie seems to be prancing back to the top
Heart 0 Comment 0

On leaving the cliffs, we had a long ride over hill and dale, high up parallel to and sometimes at the shoreline. From these vantage points, the island was no longer just nice but in fact spectacular. We had the rolling countryside, distant farms, and the sea to look at.

Spectacular Mon island views
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is like a photo Joni once took in the Caribbean
Heart 0 Comment 0
How they do roofs here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Over hillmand dale with the wind in our faces
Heart 0 Comment 0
The one shop along the way. Sabrina, anything of interest?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paddy, are these your breed of horses?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route briefly followed the beach
Heart 0 Comment 0

The only drawback was the wind. This was blow your tent down quality wind, and directly in our faces. Combined with the hills, the riding was slow going, and tiring. It took us all day, working hard, to go 46 km. And for all that distance there were no services of any description. We ended up eating our meagre bread and cheese ration on the narrow bench of a bus shelter.

For the first half of the ride, though there was no separate bike path or lane or even shoulder, it was ok. But especially on the causeway to Bogo, the wind and the need to ride the corrugated white line beside noisy traffic was really wearing.

By the time we reached the ferry to Stubbekobing, we were really beat. So we opted to camp at the sitenjust out of town. That's where we sit now, again with a room boasting real tables, and power. The cost this time was 155 kroner. That's still a hefty price, but at least not a total ripoff.

Our almost private ferry to Stubbekobing
Heart 0 Comment 0

So we are pretty much poised to return to Germany tomorrow. It sure has been quite a ride in Denmark. After tomorrow we will try to summarize the good and the bad of it. We do know we are glad we came.

On the causeway to Bogo. Notice there is no bikeway and no shoulder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But there always is this Danish head wind
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stubbekobing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stubbekobing main street
Heart 0 Comment 0
BONUS: Here are Josh and Amelia working on a bike. Two more generations of Grampies get ready to Go!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,781 km (1,106 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0