Day 27: Stubekobbing to Rostock,  Germany - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2013

Day 27: Stubekobbing to Rostock,  Germany

We went into the Netto grocery in Stubbekobing, looking for stuff for our projected evening meal. Netto, even in Germany, is pretty lame, but in Denmark - forget it! Down the street, though, there was a bakery, and I gave it yet another try. I chose two pastries that looked the least oily, Nope, they were oily too.

Dodie says a definition of insanity is when you do the exact same thing over and over and expect the result to differ. So, she thinks I am nuts to be keeping on buying these pastries.

Stubbekobing
Heart 0 Comment 0
A really low step through bike
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more try for a decent danish in Denmark
Heart 0 Comment 0
A major conference on the issue of whether the packet is flour or sugar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The suspect packet
Heart 0 Comment 0
The type of prepared food we favour for easy reheatng.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As you will see from the sign, there were at least three ways to get to Nykobing, with dramatically differing distances. Grampies naturally chose the shortest one, no matter what. The road turned out to be reasonable though, and pretty too. Later we briefly cut back to the "official" bike way, but soon instead of choosing a big more direct road we chose an even more direct way, through a forest. This started out as a gravel track ut soon became a sandy single track. It was not too bad really, just a Grampie adventure ground.

I was a bit of hard cycling though, and soon I stopped and took off my long sleeve shirt. It was only 1 1/2 km later that I realized I did not have my reflective vest and camera on. I had dumped it on the back of the bike. So that triggered a desperate high speed backtrack. In the forest, I could not tell one spot from another, and so had no idea how far back would be enough to be sure that the thing was truly lost and gone. Fortunately, it was only 1 1/2 km 'till there it was, still lying in the track, despite the passage of at least one other cyclist. Let me tell you, thinking that the second Nikon S6500 of the trip could be gone is no fun, even if only for 1 1/2 km! Not to mention that we had scoured the internet at length to find the reflective vest with the exact right colour, size, pocket for the camera, and zipper closure.

Rolling country and a resonable shoulder, on a straight line to Gedser.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The most common church design in Denmark
Heart 0 Comment 0
We take this "hairy" grain to be barley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maybe no shoulder but still a good country road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ths turbine was not so tall, maybe 60 feet and had only two blades. It seemed like a one farm model. We are very curious about the cost and performance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely countryside
Heart 0 Comment 0
These furry guys are goats
Heart 0 Comment 0
In this bag iis what looked like an innocent apple based kuchen. In fact, after extracting the pastry you can use the wrapper to lube your chain!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marielyst is an entirely vacation community, with untypical houses, like this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The way through the forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
At an unmarked crossroads, we had a conference with this family. The majority of votes went "left"
Heart 0 Comment 0

We emerged from the forest (eventually) and headed for Gedser. Gedser is the terminal for the two hour ferry ride to Rostock, in Germany. We knew there was a ferry at 3:30, andd it was basically 3:30 as we cast around for the way into the terminal. We found it, andd came to a gate with a sign that saidd cyclists wait here for a staff member. But, there was no one arround. Into what should have bbeen a ticket office and saw nothing but an old locomotive (for some reason). So we just went through the gate, and saw a line off cyclists filing onto the ferry. We just fell in line, and bingo, we were in!

As we stowed our bikes beside the giant semi-trailers, who should pop out of the cyclist group but Karin and Thomas! (from the primitive shelter at Feddet). Naturally there was a great reunion, and we had fun comparing notes. As it happens, they too had chosen to come through the forest!

The ferry had a cafeteria, and we went for the second off what is sure to be many schnitzels before we reach France. Dodie also spotted a tray labelled "danish pastry"! So in one last fit of insanity, I bought one (plus a coffee). Look at the receipt in the photo. These things are not cheap! Analysis: oily. Grrrr.

Back home, we dreamed about having Sandra and Marius on the trip, to lead us through Germany. Maybe one day, but for now we had Karin and Thomas. They led a merry chase around Rostock to reach the camping - using their understanding of the geography and consulting with people in German along the way about the best route. I know it was a relief for Dodie not to have to find this spaghetti route.

At the camping, Thomas marched us out to the beach he knew was nearby, to see the sunset. We just missed it, but still the clouds in the west were dramatic. To the southwest we could see big ships docked at Rostock.

Karin and Thomas took us over to the on site restaurant, with an offer of a beer. We transformed this into two made on site apple strudels. These were top quality (no oil!) and came with ice cream on a base of pistachio nuts. Ah, Denmark was interesting but how can you beat strudel and ice cream!

We hop on the ferry, with no ticket or instructiions
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the ferry is the last chance to get rid of Danish Kroner. Karin and Thomas invested in chocolate, but we helped them eat up 1/3 of thier investment before the boat docked!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These were labelled "danish pastry", and they truly were authentic - that is, not great.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heads are put together on board to figure out how to reach the camping once we arrive in Rostock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The absolutely last photo of a danish pastry (at least, in Denmark) . Note the high price of the danish and coffee combo. If you can make it out - the price is given in Danish Kroner, Swedish Kroner, and Euros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gefahr of the day - Inflation, particularlyy in apples, which could adversely affect the price of struudel!
Heart 0 Comment 0
In rostock harbour - giant cruise ships.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rostock has quite a bit of industry - new since reunification, says Karin. Here was a large pipe manufacturer. This machine was squirelling a pipe in a stokpile across the street. We decided to graciously give it the right of way!
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way to the camping. We passed a huge strawberry field - like, really huge. Naturally, we checkd to see if the strawberries merited that much space.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The strawberries were great, and made better by the slight larceny of gathering them by the field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The camping place was huge. Our spot turned out to be lumpy, but the office lady refused to give us the adjacent smooth one. That one, apparently was for car campers. Go figure!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset over the Baltic Sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thomas and Karin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grampies at the beach, day's end
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach had very deep sand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home made apple strudel with ice cream on a bed of pistachio nuts, with biscuit and little apple slices - 3.50 euros, hooray for Germany, and double thanks Thomas andd Karin for treating us to these!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,846 km (1,146 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0