Time out! - Cherry Picking North America - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2019 to October 7, 2019

Time out!

After a not so bad night (the trains settled down after a while), we packed up the tent and rode the short way back into town.  First stop was the visitor’s centre where we asked about the tourist train to Frostburg.  Turns out you can get your tickets upstairs in the same building, so off we went.  By now, the decision had been made.  We would spend a couple of days in Cumberland, resting and waiting out the rain, then take the train up to Frostburg, thus cutting off 15 miles of uphill.  From there, we would ride out as far as we wanted to and eventually get back to Homestead and the van.  From there, we would be able to come back to do bits of the C&O and have our van to sleep in.  This would give us the chance to still ride some of the C&O but have the van for sleeping, as the nights have been getting pretty cold in the tent.  

Green carpet of growth over the disused canal - wouldn't this be great for Halloween?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cumberland, Maryland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Scott AndersonSo is that a chaw of tobacco in your mouth?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Sue PriceHahaha! Nope! Haven't taken up that bad habit (yet)!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
A replica of one of the canal boats that used to go up and down - what a wonderful, leisurely way to see the countryside that must have been
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Tickets purchased, we rode the short distance to the Ramada Inn.  It was way too early to check in, but they allowed us to put the bikes and our gear in a safe place while we walked around exploring the town.  This didn’t take too long – and we killed some more time by stopping for a coffee at one of the local coffee shops.  As we walked further, the rain began to fall and we ducked into an interesting book store.  They had a lot of vintage books for sale, but having no more room in the panniers, we had to leave them all there.  I called the hotel and asked if by any chance we could check in early, and thankfully our room was available – hurray!  We checked in, took the bikes up, and proceeded to unload, have a nice warm shower and check out some college football on the tv.  Later, we walked over to a local pub for beer and pizza (and of course, watch some more football).  It was nice to just walk  back to our room later and crawl into bed without having to set anything up!  

The rain continued through the next day, but there was a break in the afternoon and so we were able to go for a little walk and check out some of the historical buildings in Cumberland.  

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A salute the our Amish friends we met along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beginning of the C&O, which we will do sections of once we finish the GAP
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that, it was back to our room to relax, have leftover pizza for dinner and get ourselves packed back up to head out in the morning.  All in all, it was a  much needed and appreciated break in the action for us!

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 571 km (355 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0