Actually, we ARE done - Cherry Picking North America - CycleBlaze

January 27, 2020

Actually, we ARE done

So, it's been a while since I posted in this journal and I thought perhaps I should explain before shutting this one down. After finishing the GAP, we enjoyed seeing the sights in DC, Nashville and along the Natchez Trace Parkway before making our way to Texas and a visit with our daughter in Waco. For all of these places, we found that the cycling would have been great - especially in DC and along the Trace. However, we didn't end up cycling, thus no blog posts here about these places. Once we reached Texas, our plans took an unexpected turn and we flew home to BC to spend Christmas with our family. It is now the end of January and we are flying back to pick up the van and continue our tour. However, the cycling will be limited to short day rides as we make our way back up to BC, so I will close this blog. But not to worry! We haven't given up on touring! In fact, we are booked already to fly to Amsterdam in August where we plan on cycling for almost 3 months, ending in Paris at the end of October. 

Final thoughts. Even  though this tour did not yield the massive cycling that we had originally planned, we have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and found the many places we did cycle to be such fun! The only problem with North America in general is that is is so very massive, and getting from one great cycling location to another is very time consuming on the bike. Despite our best intentions, we found that stopping, taking the bikes off the van and cycling for a day by going out and back was just not all that appealing for us. We are really looking forward to our upcoming proper bike tour and hope you will read along for that one. Thanks for reading - see you in August!

We went from this....
Heart 1 Comment 0
To this!!! Yikes! Can't wait to get back to Texas and some sun!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonThanks again for posting your rides here and taking us along with you. Looking forward to your fall tour, too. We’ll be over there at about the same time, maybe not that far from you. We’ll be interested to see your route. It would be a hoot to meet up and share a glass, wouldn’t it?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Sue PriceTo Scott AndersonHi Scott, thanks for the comment. We are just looking at your ride in Tucson and thinking we should try to get over and do that one - at this point we are just happy to be looking for some sun! When we come back in April we will be counting on Steve and Dodie to help us with a route, but basically I think we will be heading down Eurovelo 15 and then along eurovelo 6 and then 3 to Paris. Off course, there will likely be some detours, but that's the general idea. We would LOVE to meet up with you and Rachel over there! Keep us posted!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonOh, so close! I’ll bet we’ll be within 500 miles of each other a some point! Our tentative plan is to start in Copenhagen, bike up the Elbe to the Czech Republic, then south through Salzburg, the Alpe Adria and Tuscany to Rome. So, probably not this year. Maybe some winter in Tucson though!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Sue PriceWe are looking forward to some route planning sessions, and then to following you again through some of our favourite parts of the world!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago