September 4, 2023: Lisbon - Portus Cale's Atlantic Coast (Tour 24) - 2023 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2023

September 4, 2023: Lisbon

Accommodations: Al Fonte Luminosa

Where would the day best be started but with a run to the supermarket for breads, croissants and juice to add to our stock of meat and cheese, for a very typical Portuguese breakfast. The only thing would be to find a caf some time while out and about ot find a capp. I think that might be pretty easy in this city!

Being within the last twenty-four hours in town we decided to buy a metro pass so we could hop on and off as much as we wanted including the run to the airport tomorrow morning. With that, we hopped on the green line at Alameda and headed to the endpoint at Cais da Sodre.

Amazing how they could have a mtro so far down in the ground with the estuary a mere few tens of metres away. I know pumps exist, but still incredible. There were long escalators to reach the surface and when we emerged under the canopy of the train station (here trains headed to Estoril, Cascais and Sintra) looking outside we coud see that rain was coming down in buckets. Well, time for a waiting break, I guess.

The rain soon slowed and paused so out we went where we immediately saw the big fish, veggie and fruit market and wandered inside, though I think it was not going to be fully open til 10 am and only a few booths were open. Beautiful produce on display.

Next we meandered the twisty streets heading toward Baixa but had to duck under upper patios to keep out of the frequent rain showers. We were getting wet, though, and once again, we must have headed out without our brains as we had not taken our jackets with us!

I wanted Alex to see the lookout area up behind the Lisbon Cathedral and we did get there but the rain kept coming and at times the winds were fierce. We were getting cold. Coming back down the hill we went into the Cathedral and marvelled at how they were able to make these structures with hand tools over centuries and so extravagant. Money well spent. Or not?

I tried to get an AP of one of the old trolleys with the Sé in the background but things kept messing up the perfect shot, but at least the pretty street above the cathedral turned out in this AP. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
This trolley photo is not much of an AP but does show how busy the street was. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 1 Comment 0
More of the walls and one of the towers of the Lisbon Cathedral (Sé). -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Lisbon Sé. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Lisbon Sé. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the side chapels in the Cathedral that seems to lend itself to APs. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the side chapels in the Cathedral that seems to lend itself to APs. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0

Part way down the hill Alex suggested we stop in a cafe for me to have a capp and for him to have a mango juice. The worker was very interested and was very knowledgeable about preparing his espresso milk drinks - the dose, the grind, the roasting... saying how it is a whole process. I have so much to learn with my little Barista Express espresso machine at home!

We turned here and there until we emerged at Praça Figueira where there was some type of a food fair going on. Many booths and a covered table area. The booths had all kinds of tapas foods and numerous sangrias, wines and ports. Even sangria made with port wine. Interesting idea.

In case anyone likes macarons... this is the place to find them. This was in a temporary booth at a food fair in Figueira Square. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were able to explore the city in between spells of misting rain and sometimes pouring cats and dogs. Alex is in Figueira Square and San Jorge Castle is on the mountain top. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0

Alex saw some type pf cooked pork tapa so he ordered that while I only got a glass of red wine. I felt I had to have at least one glass before leaving tomorrow.

Our timing couldn't be 'more perfecter' otherwise we would have had to go 'to eleven'... one more better. While we sat and enjoyed the snack, down came the rain once again so we were pretty happy to be where we were. And once we were finished, so was the rain.

The little food fair in Praça Figueira had all kinds of local tapas goodies - so we got some pork with pickles and I had a wee splash of vinho tinto. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
The little food fair in Praça Figueira had all kinds of local tapas goodies - so we got some pork with pickles and I had a wee splash of vinho tinto. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Praça Figueira on a rainy Monday. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sweets at a little confection shop in Figueira Square that has been there since 1829 - the goodies don't seem to be from 1829. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wall of Port wine, some dating back to the 1940s, in Figueira Square. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our walk took us back to Rossio Square where we got a few last APs and I did a silly little video from the centre by one of the fountains where I bid farewell to everything here.

Rossio Square - the perfect place to say farewell til next time to Lisbon and to Portugal. Maybe I should call it Praça Obrigado! -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rossio Square - the perfect place to say farewell til next time to Lisbon and to Portugal. Maybe I should call it Praça Obrigado! -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 1 Comment 0

It misted off and on a bit more, but not much so we went up and over to the bottom of Avenida da Liberdade and walked underneath the huge green canopy to Pombal Square then over to the Alameda and back to our hotel to rest a bit before heaing out to the Oceanarium Lisboa laster this afternoon.

Avenida da Liberdade - the most beautiful street in the world! -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the hotel, I went to the lobby where I asked about the possibility of leaving my full-sized bicycle box in storage here for the next time I come cycling with my Cannondale. This way I won't have to find a box for my return and I need smply take a train or bus to get to my starting point. The receptionist thinks it would not be a problem at all but that she would check with her manager to confirm. I know and like this area of the city and with transportation so easy to get anywhere, it would be nice to have a depot to leave the box and any heavy gear I don't actually need whilst on tour but need to return home or to pack up the bike. Stay tuned.

The manager said I was definitely welcome to leave the bike box here next time. Awesome! Time to plan another trip to Portugal and I've not even left yet. 

We spent the evening in awe of the displays in the Oceanaria. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0

One of the main events Alex had put on his list was to see the Oceanario. We booked the tickets last night for today at 5 pm, so after a rest in the room, we hopped onto the Metro and headed to the Oriente station then walked fifteen minutes. We had to wait a short bit til our entry time but when we got in, we headed right to the aquarium building which held living creatures from every ocean habitat in the world in a series of gigantic tanks. Words are unable to express the beauty and the majesty of the schools of fish, large rays, tiny clownfish  - tens of thousands of species. And anemones and frogs and puffins and penguins and starfish. Holy mackeral - LITERALLY!!!

We spent the evening in awe of the displays in the Oceanaria. Who doesn't love penguins? -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
We spent the evening in awe of the displays in the Oceanaria. Who doesn't love penguins? -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
We spent the evening in awe of the displays in the Oceanaria. The smaller 'plant' is actually a sea dragon. Incredible. -- Lisbon, Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0

The whole place had a flow to it that had you start at the main tank, then veer out to side display tanks, then back to the centre and all on three levels. There were lots of people attending which was claustrophobic at times, but so encouraging that people wanted to learn.

After two hours we had completed the route so headed back to the Metro and back to our room where I finished off packing our things for the return home tomorrow. Still full from lunch, I'm not sure if we will be heading out for supper after all.

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 279 km (173 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0