August 31, 2023: Praia de Mira rest day - Portus Cale's Atlantic Coast (Tour 24) - 2023 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2023

August 31, 2023: Praia de Mira rest day

Putting up our feet to rest... for the most part

Accommodations: Granny's Guesthouse (9)

Today was going to be the kind of day that would be an off of the bike relaxing day. One where we would walk a whole bunch of distance, so still earn all of the calories our stomach continues to tell us it needs.

I looked out shortly after 7 am to see a wall of white mist and absolute quiet as the airborne droplets of water absorbed any sounds. Breakfast was at 830 and proved to be tasty. We saw a number of the other guests many of whom were from France which made conversation quite easy. Also here was Luis, the owner, who I had met when I was here last year- when he saw me, he exclaimed that he thought he had recognized my name. We had a nice chat and I asked him for additional information about longer term winter rentals which he was quite interested in doing - as a ballpark he suggested 450 € per month, not including breakfast. Holy reasonable!

A nice little breakfast presentation. Though a rest day, our stomach still tells us we have been cycling. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0

With it still misty outside we quickly got ready and headed for a berach walk where we were soon enveloped in the mists. Frm the dunes we could not see the ocean, and from the water's edge we could not see the town. Just white all around. Out to sea we could see huge waves breaking about 100 m from us but all was fairly calm at the edge. Maybe because the water was so shallow here - there was a whole string of new 'islands' about 10 m from shore on which relaxed many seagulls.

We walked in the same directio along the beach as yesterday but with things so calm, we could stay on the damp sand which was much easier for walking. At the rocky pier we headed away from the water and to the boardwalk which snakes along the top of the huge sand dune that separates the ocean from town. Gradually the mists were dissipating as the sun heated the air and drove up the dewpoint until a very strong sun was beating down once again.

When I first looked out this morning everything was blanketed in thick, white mist. And it was oh, so quiet. These little beach tents are on the beach below the bigger hotels and guest houses and are available to rent for the day. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 3 Comment 0
When I first looked out this morning everything was blanketed in thick, white mist. And it was oh, so quiet. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
When I first looked out this morning everything was blanketed in thick, white mist. And it was oh, so quiet. These little beach tents are on the beach below the bigger hotels and guest houses and are available to rent for the day. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 3 Comment 0
When I first looked out this morning everything was blanketed in thick, white mist. And it was oh, so quiet. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
When I first looked out this morning everything was blanketed in thick, white mist. And it was oh, so quiet. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
As we walked down the beach the mists started to clear and everything came into view. The rocky pier is covered with barnacles. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice rocks and shells were scattered along the beach. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
With the tide out huge sand bar islands appeared, much to the delight of the local seagulls. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 3 Comment 0
Once the mists had mostly cleared we went up to the boardwalk along the crest of the dune with increasingly distant views out to sea. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
Once the mists had mostly cleared we went up to the boardwalk along the crest of the dune with increasingly distant views out to sea. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
Though the waves were retreating with the tides (presumably stronger tides due to the super moon) there were beautiful erosion rivulets all along the edge. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
A lifeguard on an ATV appeared out of the mists, the motor inaudible in the fog. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0
What would a trip to the beach be without the required 'place name and year in the sand' trick. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 3 Comment 0
With the tide out huge sand bar islands appeared, much to the delight of the local seagulls. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 3 Comment 0

People were starting to pour onto the beach so before it got too busy we went to a traditional fishing boat for a photo of the boat rather than the five thousand people around it. 

The traditional local fishing boat and it appears to be functional since it was filled with fishing gear and had a new-looking motor. Stretched out behind the boat were fishing nets drying in the sun. -- Praia de Mira, Portugal
Heart 2 Comment 0

Next on our agenda was to find some sunscreen. Initially we went acrosss the road to the supermarket where we had picked up goodies yesterday, but a small bottle was about 15 €. Thinking this was because of the store's proximity to the beach we headed up the street heading inland and tried a larger supermercado and sure enough the no-name brand was a mere 5 € . This being said, maybe we bought a bottle of mayonnaise and won't be safe from the sun!!

Though it had only been a few hours since breakfast - remember when I mentioned that our stomachs still think we're cycling? - since we were already in the supermercado we picked up items for lunch. Namely, bread, meat and cheese for a fresh sandwich, an orange, a peach and some drinks. We wanted to have the lunch somewhere outside so headed back to the lagoon by our guest house. The first shady benches were open, but covered with reminders that many flocks of birds gathered overhead in the trees. Furhter down there were open and clean benches but they were in the sun. With little choice, we ate our lunch but then returned to our guest house to get out of the sun for the remainder of midday when the sun was at its strongest. The plan is to head back out once the sun is not so strong... with our spankin brand new sunscreen!

Once the sun was lower in the sky we decided on a walk around the lagoon - about two or three times the size of Commando Lake in Cochrane (my home town). It was a nice walk but we did notice some people in boats pulling some type of plant out of the water and setting them onto the shore to dry. Then we saw signs describing invasive water hyacinths that could double in area in five days, blotting out local species and totally covering lakes. Work was underway to physically remove the invader.

On the other side of the lagoon we climbed up and over the beach dune along the boardwalk, and like yesterday, spent a good amount of time playing at the water's edge, taunting the crashing waves to try to catch us. Catch us they did a few times, getting us fairly wet, though not soaked. I kept a little further away and held our shoes and my bag to keep things safe.

After enough sun we returned to our room where I showered to de-saltify then shortly before 7 pm we headed to town for supper. Restaurante Lila is listed as the best restaurant in town so we wanted to be there early and not have to line up - we were able to sit at an outdoor table until service began. People were about in the streets, but the majority was the huge flow of beach goers now returning home or to their bus or to their cars. A few other people sat at some of the other dinner tables.

Not sure what O have I ordered the 'small fried fish' which came with salad and rice, while Alex ordered whole squid which came with salad and roasted potatoes. Both were very good. I even had a glass of vinho tinto because it just seemed right.

We declined dessert at Lila, opting instead for a Milka from a supermercado up the street from our guest house. It was breezy and fairly cool so we returned to the guest house where it was not long before two tired cyclists were sound asleep.

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 189 km (117 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0