DAY 1 DETAILS from.DAN - Canadian "Heavy Rescue" Solo Tour 2021 - "Detoured Again" - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2021

DAY 1 DETAILS from.DAN

Day 1:. 81 Miles / 6036 Feet of Elevation Gain (a solid and challenging day on the bike)

Dan was gracious enough to do the journal entry while standing behind the restroom at the campground that had limited WIFI.   Hope you enjoy!

Epic Day 1 of my Dad’s tour and so grateful to share the time with him “Rockin’ in the boat.” Started the day early with a mess in the house from Mr. B. He must have known we were leaving and was nervous. He’s still a sweet dog. 

Anywho. Sat and had coffee with Mr. B and Louise and watched the sun just peaking over the trees in our front room. Out and on the road and it was just beginning to be visible over the horizon. Perfect time to set out. 

Mile 3: Launched down the Green Canopy downhill and was treated to the sun coming up behind the city. Stopped for some photos. 

Sunrise to welcome the travelers to the road to Ebey and beyond.....
Heart 0 Comment 0

Mile 12: Made it to the locks and watched an Army corps of engineer boat. Realized I forgot my book. Dang it! Ohh well. Made it out of Seattle by riding parallel streets to the busy roads. A lot of the roads were still closed due to COVID which made for easy miles with no cars. GREAT. We called this “getting cute” with the route. And for the most part it worked- until it didn’t.

Proud Guys
Heart 3 Comment 2
Wendy WillisTo brandon spangler rockin in seats as your dad said!!
Enjoy
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
About the Locks
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mile 30: Made it to 5 miles from the Ferry and should have turned down a busy road. Instead, opted to try and find a road that parallel it. Wrong move. Ended up on the wrong side of an airport, highway, and Boeing manufacturing plant

Trails were good to us
Heart 1 Comment 0

. 🤦

Mile 35: Tried to ride thru the Boeing plant and got turned around. Re-routed about 10ish rolling miles up and over at least one big climb. Got cute, got burned! 🔥 But we still made it and found a Calzone place for lunch- that made everything better. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Lighthouse Info
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mile 45: Poked around the lighthouse by the ferry. Always fun to see. No lighthouse emoji- emoji people need to get on that. 

From the Ferry to our overnight.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Mile 55: Riding on Whidby was a roller coaster 🎢. Took a side road of 524 down to the water. Beautiful view. Paid the price having to go up at least 2 big climbs. Resort road was a hit. Beautiful trees with no cars- worth it. But still another big climb to get back to 524. After that made the decision to just get to the camp site. 

Dan trucking along
Heart 3 Comment 0

Mile 65: stopped to pause. Dad had a gel. 16 miles to go on the GPS. Knew it was time to dig deep. Worst road of the day with no shoulder. Made it to a gas station (they were few and far between) at mile 75. Didn’t realize how empty I was on fuel until I was in the gas station grabbing a ton of stuff. Gatorade. Chips. 100 grand bars. Ranchers mix (my favorite). Ate and drank and felt much better. Trail all the way to the campground. Thankful to get off the busy road for the last part of the trip. 

A “Sight” along a bike path heading to Fort Ebey State Park
Heart 2 Comment 0

Mile 80: down the hill to register our camp site. Registration closed. Sign pointing back up the hill for campsite. Rude. Last big climb to our campsite. 

Mile 81: made it safely and shared a big hug. So great to cover the miles and challenge myself alongside my dad. One for the books.

Sunsets have been amazing - Fort Ebey State Park
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sunset at the Fort Ebey State Park Bluff
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 miles (130 km)
Total: 81 miles (130 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Tamora StumCongrats on your 1st Big Washington Ride together!! Heck YA Dan!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
brandon spanglergreat job guys!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithIt is a wonderful thing that you guys can do this together.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerTo brandon spanglerThank you Brandon. I'm hoping to get my music you made soon. I live you
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerTo Tamora StumHe has been so nice and encouraging. Love you
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithGuys, thanks. It has been nice having him along. It is special. He'll be leaving me today. Solo now
Reply to this comment
2 years ago