Day 33: To Southwest campground, Lassen National Park - The California J 2009 - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2009

Day 33: To Southwest campground, Lassen National Park

For a change of pace I had a BIG breakfast at Anna's Cafe at Lake Almanor. It's part of a rustic resort that's been there since 1928.

Back on the road it was 10 mostly flat miles north to the intersection of highways 36/69/89 where I turned left. This east-west highway has much more traffic. Many trucks and RVs. The road has no shoulder and in some places the edge of the pavement has crumbled away. No fun. Traffic got better when I passed the Hwy 22 turnoff.

First view of Lassen Peak. Just a hazy apparition in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The terrain is rolling with an uphill trend. The road crosses the Pacific Crest Trail on a minor hilltop. I noticed that a trail angel keeps gallon water jugs filled there.

Uphill through the forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Pacific Crest Trail on highway 36/89.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were a few views of Lassen Peak but mostly it was a boring uphill ride through the forest. The weather was nice. Definitely cooler than yesterday now that I'm gaining elevation again.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting closer to Lassen peak, but visibility isn't good.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I stopped for lunch at the Childs Meadow resort. It was the only restaurant I passed today. No towns on today's route.

Lassen Peak from the Childs Meadow Resort. The haze might be smoke from a forest fire, or smog from Sacramento.
Heart 0 Comment 0
North Fork Deer Creek.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road climbs with a vengeance after Child's Meadow. Just after highway 36/89 crosses 5750-foot Morgan hill summit I turned right (north) to stay on highway 89, continuing the climb to Lassen Volcanic National Park. Finally there was no traffic. Trucks are prohibited on this road.

Lassen Peak.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lassen Volcanic National Park south entrance station, 6700 feet elevation. Diamond Peak blocks the view of Lassen Peak.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I paid the $5 bicycle entry fee at the entrance station. Half a mile past the entry station is the visitor center and the Southwest campground. It's a walk-in campground right next to the visitor center, surrounded by volcanic peaks. $14, with flush toilets, sinks with soap, bear lockers. I plan to camp 2 nights here and hike to the summit of Brokeoff mountain tomorrow. The visitor center has a snack bar but doesn't sell groceries.

Campsite with a view of 9235-foot Brokeoff Mountain. Tomorrow I will hike to the summit.
Heart 1 Comment 0

My campsite was next to a California Conservation Corps trail maintenance crew of 15. They were very noisy, constantly chopping wood.

Today's distance wasn't long but it was nearly all uphill with a net climb of 2600 feet. My average speed was pathetic. I passed no towns and very few houses. It was mostly National Forest-pleasant but boring. The weather was sunny all day with a high of 85F.

Distance: 39.7 mi (63.5 km)

Climbing: 3041 ft (921 m)

Average speed: 7.8 mph (12.5 km/h)

Max speed: 35.5 mph (57 km/h)

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,462 miles (2,353 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0