To Montsoreau - The Bordeaux Loop - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2008

To Montsoreau

So I think we can dispense with the fantasy that we’re dredging up many authentic memories from this tour.  Still, it does help having a few sketchily photographs and a distance and elevation log to fill in some gaps.

I remember this as a long day, and it was.  70 miles, with two significant sights to take in: the first of the great Loire chateaus we would be seeing in the coming days on our ride east along the Loire; and Fontevraud Abbey, where King Henry II, his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine, and their son Richard the Lionhearted were all buried here around 900 years ago.

With the photos and log though, I’m reminded that we biked through charming Le-Puy-Notre-Dame; and that after arriving at the Loire and checked into our room late in the afternoon we took a rushed trip to Fontevraud, biking back to our room by way Saint-Martin de Candes and then along the Loire at sundown.  Also, that we had a fantastic view of the      stunning Montsoreau chateau from our room, which we must have enjoyed for several minutes in our overpacked day.

Le Puy Notre Dame
Heart 2 Comment 0
Montreuil-Bellay
Heart 1 Comment 0
Montsoreau
Heart 1 Comment 0
Montsoreau
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fontevraud
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eleanor and Richard, Fontevraud
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Loire, at Montsoreau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 70 miles, 2,300’; for the tour: 478 miles, 13,900’

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 405 miles (652 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0