To La Rochelle - The Bordeaux Loop - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2008 to May 23, 2008

To La Rochelle

Another pair of days with remarkably few specific memories beyond what these few photos remind us of.  Looking back on this part of the tour especially, I have some regrets now.  One is that I didn’t keep a journal of course.  I did at least keep a daily distance and elevation log, so I know where we spent each night. 

Another regret is that we have so few photos.  This tour was a memorable disappointment, camera-wise.  I carried a new camera on this tour, a Canon point and shoot, that either was defective or had a defective operator.  A large percentage of the photos had serious quality issues - poor exposure, odd coloration - a fact that I didn’t discover until we returned home and I unloaded images from the SD cards I’d accumulated.  This is the sort of problem that would not occur now, when I can unload and review everything at the end of each day.  On the plus side, I was able to return the camera and exchange it for a Panasonic, but that was small comfort.

And finally, looking at these photos and looking back at the route we followed, I regret not having taken more time.  This is another of those tours where nearly every day was a traveling day, and distances were often long by our standards.  If we ever return, we’ll slow down considerably.

For the record though, from our skeletal log we at least know that on the first night we stayed in Saint-Georges de Didonne after a 58 mile day (otherwise, I don’t think we’d even know for sure where we spent the first night); and the next day we biked 68 miles to La Rochelle, passing through a string of coastal villages and miles of fine coastline with hardly a photo to show for it.  C’est dommage.

In Saintes, looking across the Charente to the Arch of Germanicus. The arch was built to honor the emperor Tiberius, his son and adopted son Germanicus. It was built in the year 18 or 19, which just sounds strange to me, like an incomplete date.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Talmont-sur-Gironde, a charming, very colorful coastal village. It’s one of our favorite kinds of places, and one I’d like to return to and hope to find it hasn’t changed too much in fifteen years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Talmont-sur-Gironde.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Talmont-sur-Gironde.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Le Phare de Vallières, at Saint-Georges de Didonne. 36 meters high, built in 1900 to guide ships to the estuary leading to Bordeaux. The French Atlantic coast has the most compelling collection of lighthouses we’ve seen anywhere, and are reason enough to visit this region.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The fortified ramparts at Brouage, the earliest important salt-trading seaport in France.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonI have a picture of myself on one of my tours sitting here and having a picnic! Great memories...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonI think we’re going to have to return here ourselves. I haven’t really thought about this tour - at least not the Atlantic half of the loop - for a long time, and had forgotten how much there was to like about it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In Brouage. I’ll bet you’d like to see shots of the surrounding salt flats too, wouldn’t you? So would we. Next time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The La Rochelle harbor, and the hulking 14th century Saint Nicholas Tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Chain Tower. La Rochelle is an atmospheric spot, and I recall it as being a delight to explore. Fortunately we were here for two nights, with a layover day to visit nearby Île de Ré.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The red lighthouse, La Rochelle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Phare du Quai Lavin, La Rochelle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats: 126 miles, 3,800’; for the tour: 278 miles, 6,600’

Today's ride: 126 miles (203 km)
Total: 278 miles (447 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0