To Conques - The Bordeaux Loop - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2008 to June 6, 2008

To Conques

Another two day entry, because I don’t recall that much from the first day’s ride to Figeac anyway.  I remember Figeac, a town we also stayed at in our first tour of the Dordogne, for the steep hills biking into it from the north.  And I remember some vague sense of disappointment in the town, and eating dinner at a quiet touristy outdoor restaurant in the central square.  Looking back at the websites now to refresh my memory, I’m reminded of it’s attractive half-timbered houses.   Couldn’t say really  why it didn’t especially work for me, and it makes me feel like an incompetent tourist.  It’s probably nothing that wouldn’t have been solved by a better meal. 

St. Cere
Heart 0 Comment 0
I remember St. Cere for its interesting public art works. This isn’t just any ordinary clothesline here!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ah, yes. Now I remember Figeac.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Figeac we left the hills behind us for awhile and for the next 20 miles we followed the meanders of beautiful Lot east, at the end turning south to follow one of its tributaries a few miles south to Conques.  Another of the Most Beautiful Villages in France, Conques is worth visiting for the charm and character of the village itself.  What really distinguishes it though is the abbey church of Ste-Foy, one of the great pilgrimage stops on the route to Compostela.  I was completely stunned by the detail and color of the Last Judgement tympanum, staring at it and taking one photo after another for probably fifteen minutes.  

In Conques (now Conques-Em-Rouergue).
Heart 1 Comment 0
The abbey church of Sainte Foy, seen looking down from a ridge across the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Last Judgement.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An unhappy lot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats (2 days): 59 miles, 4,900’: for the tour: 839 miles, 29,900’

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 766 miles (1,233 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0