Day 40: Hall in Tirol to Kramsach - Grampies Go By The Books Summer 2014 - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2014

Day 40: Hall in Tirol to Kramsach

To get from the camping back onto the path by the river was not really complicated. The basic principle was "go downhill". still there were a few twists and turns, and we quite legitimately stopped a time or two to check the map or GPS. The problem is, you can not stop or look like you need help here, because someone will immediately try guide you. That could be ok, but they will also want to know where we came from, and how we came to be casting around trying to find the largest river in the region, running in a valley between tall mountains.

We do enjoy talking to people most of the time, and this morning we met at least two that were very interesting. We did not get the name or a photo of the first, because we were mainly interested in his bike. It was a recumbent trike of the style with two wheels in front. But more than that, it had suspension on all three wheels. On top of that, the rear wheel had a motor hub. In a sense this was too far over the top in terms of making it easy on the rider. On the other hand, this rider was well over 70 and had back and knee problems. So with this rig he was speeding down the radweg with the rest of them.

Our next guide was Ernie. 79 years old, he had lived in Calgary. He used to spend a lot of time driving to Lake Louise for skiing. Back in the Tirol, skiing is much closer. This guide also had fancy gear - all Italian, with a Colnago bike and Campagnolo gloves. He did not have internet to look at the blog, though. Claimed to be too poor.

Our final lady seemed to pull over in her car to ask us the UQs, but eventually were on our way. It didn't last too long, really, because at Wattens Dodie noticed a large factory with the name of Swarovski. She recognized this as the maker of fine crystal. So when we came around to their Kristallwelten (Crystal World) attraction, we went in for a look. At 11 euros each, it was pricey. So what was it? What is was not was an explanation of what crystal is, why the factory is here, and how they do it. What it was was a highly "arty" series of installations that made use of crystal in some way, while delivering artful interpretations of life with elaborate use of light, sound, and costume design. It would take someone who really knew about modern art forms to better say what this all was. But just for one example, in a darkened room a female formed soet of robot walked mechanically but gracefully around a track, while overhead a male form comprised of a dozen parts on rods disassembles and then reassembles, shaking itself realistically once fully reassembled. Meanwhile brightly lit shirts on an overhead track dance and jiggle around the room.... and so forth.

More interesting (to me) what what they bill as their largest retail store, containing very glittery crystal figures or jewels, with very high price tags. Overall, and "interesting" experience.

A wuit different experience was waiting for us down the road,as we ran in to what at first looked like a market, but what turned out to be a giant meeting of the Eicher tractor fan club. So we began by just trying to get a shot of what looked like a few tractors - for Ken Graham - and we ended by joining in to the party. The party included an oompah band, food, and tables to sit at. While we were eating our kuchen, Elke and Michael came over - fellow cyclists, they were joining in too. They live in Frankfurt,but were cycling from Innsbruck to up in the Ziller river valley. We hit it off,in part, because they were pulling a Bob trailer.

While we were talking to Elke and Michael, I wandered over to a trailer where there were various Eicher souvenirs on sale. I had trouble communicating with the lady behind the counter, but a man standing beside me came to the rescue, with an ability to speak English. When he also handled my money for the little things I bought, I realized he was part of the group. We chatted for a while about tractors and also bike touring, and at the end he gave me his card, saying I should use the web address on it to check out the Eicher web site. I glanced at the card, but hurried back to where I assumed Dodie would be wondering what became of me. So then I showed her the card. Whaaa? The man's name was Egon Eicher - he was the head of the company, we presume, though he later only said he was the son of the founder.

We did get to talk to Egon a bit more, as he wandered over to where we were sitting. We learned that Eicher is no longer made, in Germany at least. However production continues in India, and this production makes it the third largest tractor name worldwide, he said.

The remainder of our day was filled with cycling among tall peaks on all sides, with meadows and houses reaching far up the flanks. There were iconic churches, whose onion shaped domes look so magical against a mountain background, and there were zillions of other cyclists on the paths.

We finally followed the GPS and the Bikeline map up to a camping at a little lake quite high above the river. The temperature had been in the vicinity of 40 for most of the day, so we were beat. Also since it was Sunday, we had not found enough to eat. The push up to the camping, then, really made us tired. Fortunately, as is common, there was a restaurant. So we decided not to cook our noodles, and instead got a terrific tasty and healthy meal. This we ate on a terrace looking out to the mountains.

It is late, and dark now, butI am typing this at a table lent by a neighbour in a trailer. The only cost - yes, answer the UQs and convince everyone that we really did cycle from Paris on these goofy little loaded bikes!

Watch for photos soon, and then much later, for the captions...

Leaving Hall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dragons always get picked on, particualrly in churches. We thought we would give this one some air time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evocative towers standiing with mountain backgrounds are everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our first local guide. with his high tech trike
Heart 0 Comment 0
Front automotive style suspension
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rear suspension
Heart 0 Comment 0
Motor hub!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ernie, our second guide, displays his large button senior's model cell phone. This is a far as he goes with fancy telcommunications.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We did find the bridge over the Inn
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the other side, this lady stopped her car to give directions and ask the UQs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Autobahn-side beautiful church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical scenery for today
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dodie recognized this as a famous maker of crystal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The next images are from Swarovsky Crystal World. It was an enigmatic display and we probably could not explain it with captions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
Following are some of the things for sale in the shop at Swarovsky Crystal World. Many of the prices were quite fabulous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For sale at Swarovsky Crystal World. The company is into optics as well as crystal, and other things too, like industrial abrasives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For sale at Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
For sale at Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
For sale at Swarovsky Crystal World
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swarovsky says this is their biggest store world wide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mountains and meadows!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It got even hotter than this
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ziller river joins the Inn. Up this river are major towns like, we think, Krimml, but we know nothing of that area. Maybe we will explore it another time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came across this extensice display of Eicher tractors
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many people were traditionally dressed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical traditional clothes
Heart 0 Comment 0
A loud band added to the atmosphere
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elke and Michael are towing a Bob and will head up the ZillerTal
Heart 0 Comment 0
This fellow looks really local
Heart 0 Comment 0
Egon Eicher - we are not sure if like Steve Wozniak he is now more of a famous name in the company, or if he is actively involved in operations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elke and Michael
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on the trail, through the meadows
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swaz, I think. We crossed the river here for some more interesting sights, as recommended by Sandra before we left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maria Himmelfahr church. Good news for those tired of churches in this blog - there was nothing inside that seemed photo worthy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meadows extend high up the mountain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Kramsach
Heart 0 Comment 0
We asked for Alm Dudler and got this - just as good, or better!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just what we needed after a tough day in the sun with little food.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,129 km (1,322 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0