Day 39: Oberammergau to Hall in Tirol, Austria - Grampies Go By The Books Summer 2014 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2014

Day 39: Oberammergau to Hall in Tirol, Austria

Our campsite in Oberammergau
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shows the places we have been and where we are going in this region
Heart 0 Comment 0
In case anyone is puzzled, this is the part of Europe we are in. Note Switzerland, Austria, and Italy lurking around.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We think this is called the Ammer river
Heart 0 Comment 0

The main town between Oberammergau and Garmisch-Partenkirchen is Ettal. Ettal is the site of the famous monastery. It's famous for beer, for cheese, and yes, for a basilica dating from 1330. The monastery is quite on the ball still, with monks in residence, and students. It also owns a large hotel across the street, a book store, and a souvenir store. Down the road is the farm where the cows live and where the cheese is made.

We started out in the basilica, which was built around a madonna and child figure that Kaiser Louis IV brought back as a souvenir from Italy. He was actually out of favour with the pope, and started the monastery with the madonna, for imperial and territorial reasons.

The interior of the basilica looks like the customary south German baroque extravaganza. It has cherubs, lots of gold, and large ceiling paintings, with hundreds of figures. We actually forgot to look for the famous madonna while inside. It is said to be very small, in comparison to all this other stuff.

Everything in the bookstore was in German, but we looked at it all anyway.We love books so much that we seem to even love ones we can not read. There were childrens books there as well, but though we tried, we could not read them either. We need to go to school, sooo bad!

The lady in the souvenir shop was so kurt when we asked how to reach the cheese factory, that what she said was of no use at all. so we fired up good old Rick Steves on Kindle and got perfect directions. The cheese factory, as I guess could be predicted, did not feature old monks in tattered robes stirring vats of milk with old oak oars. Rather it was an all gleaming stainless steel affair, computerized, and seemingly all run by one guy with a touch screen. This does not mean that the cheese has to be not good, though. There are still in the background the swiss cows in the flower filled meadows, the no doubt highly guarded cheese cultures, and the mountain air.

The cheese factory also had a terrace overlooking meadows and over to mountains, and here we got some mohn and quark cheese cake and an apple cake. Frankly, we had to work to stuff these into our pudgy little faces. Now, with the southern tier long behind us, with a month of passing a dozen bakeries a day, and with the much warmer weather now here, we are not nearly as hungry all the time as we were. We will still try to keep up on trying every pastry in the country, but it's getting harder!

Rooflines of the Ettal monastery. Very evocative, with the mountains behind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bakery near Ettal
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bakeery from the outside. Not much like a Safeway!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This hotel is owned by the monastery
Heart 1 Comment 0
The main courtyard of Ettal Monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ceiling inside the basilica
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the basilica
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail of the extensive frescoes
Heart 0 Comment 0
They make their own beer and cheese
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Ettal gift shop, a Santa with a cycling theme!
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Ettal bookstore, secrets of German bread!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cheesemaking at Ettal is all stainless steel and computers
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fresco in the Ettal cheese shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quark and mohn combined! Apple was good too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I like the cow on their milk bottles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look how cheap the cheese is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cheeses are curing in this room. There were rounds of all sizes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

South of Ettal was an unexpected challenge. The road headed down a curvy, perhaps 10% track, for 3 km. There was no space provided on this for bicycles and traffic was heavy. Our only choice was to grit our teeth and go down. It could have been worse - had we been coming the other way -up- we would have been pushing the bikes, with no sight lines for the drivers. This sure shot our claim that there is always a way for the bikes in Germany.

At the bottom the views opened up to an entirely new range of mountains. These were taller than the ones we had been seeing, and with a lot of snow on them. In fact, it was the range that includes the Zugspitz - Germany's tallest. At first it was not clear which of the peaks it was, but then Dodie spotted the cable going up the side.

Going down! andno shoulder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still no shoulder, but mountains to take your mind off it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the way to Garmish
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Zugspitz is onthe right.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A ski jump. It's the first one we have ever seen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical guesthouse in a line of themgoing into Garmish
Heart 1 Comment 0
A real traffic jam. This is a popular place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fashions in Garmish
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical Garmish street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happily on the train
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our train window
Heart 0 Comment 0
From the train window
Heart 0 Comment 0
The table at our train seat showed the route. If you zoom on this you will see all the twons from Garmish to Innsbruck
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside Innsbruck, it looks like a big city
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cross the Inn on the train
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thanks for the lift! Saved a day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The train station shows the popularity of bikes in Austria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A street in Innsbruck
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the old part of town
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lady in traditional dress
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wire walker downtown
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here the wire walker looks like he is just inthe mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cuckoo clocks, here too! (Look pretty costly)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Golden Roof is a landmark here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie scatters some of her parents' ashes in the Inn
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are back on the Inn with our bikes after two years away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shows the old town that we passed through, and the Inn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This bridge freaked us a t first because it looked like the GPS wanted us to cross it
Heart 0 Comment 0
These quite subtle signs are the ones for us to follow here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the former Olympic Village, we think
Heart 1 Comment 0
A look at the Inn valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our local guides!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well, there is even a mountain at the end of our street at the camping!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,081 km (1,292 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0