Ride Day 5 - Burra to Hallett - Blinman or Bust by Bike - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2023

Ride Day 5 - Burra to Hallett

Following four days of riding, Burra was the location of the first of two rest days on the trip. It was a good base from which to enjoy a relaxing day with Jill and the dog in the Clare Valley wine region.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Three views of main street (Barrier Highway) Burra
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Views of two stretches of the Trail east of Mount Bryan East
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View east of Mount Bryan East
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from near Caroona Creek Conservation Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sir Hubert Wilkins' Homestead, Mount Bryan East. Sir Hubert (1888-1958) was an Australian polar explorer, ornithologist, pilot, soldier, geographer and photographer. The cottage had fallen into ruin, but in recent decades has been reconstructed as part of a long-term restoration project.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Moonrise, under 15km east of Hallett
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the Cobb & Co Coach House, better known as 'Midnight Oil House', as a photograph of the house featured on the cover of Australian rock band Midnight Oil's iconic 1986 album, 'Diesel and Dust'. The house is less than 5km north of Burra, so I actually rode past it in the morning near the start of my ride. In the morning light it looked something like in this photo. Since the Midnight Oil album photo was shot at sunset, and since we were back in Burra that evening (in the car) I took the opportunity to re-photograph the house at sunset (see next photo), then used available filters on my device to create a bit more of the 'feel' of the album cover photo (see the last photo). The actual album photo, by Ken Duncan, can be viewed at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_and_Dust#/media/File:MidnightOil_DieselAndDust.jpg It wasn't possible for me to very closely re-create the album photo. That would have required a very wide angle lens and much closer access to the house. Such is the level of pilgrimage to this site that the current owners have placed an additional layer of barbed wire fencing all around the property to keep pilgrims at a safe distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0