Day 40 - Twin Bridges, Montana to Jackson, Montana - Bike Tour 2022 - St Louis to Oregon - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2022

Day 40 - Twin Bridges, Montana to Jackson, Montana

Into the Big Hole

The bike camp in Twin Bridges worked out great. We thought we had set up our tents where the sprinkler system was set up so we scrambled to move them. It was all for nought as there were no sprinklers.

After breakfast in town, we headed south to Dillon. Some of the truck traffic was hostile.

The road was a gentle incline all the way. In Dillon we grabbed provisions for the next few days. Then the fun began.

We climbed over Badger Pass at 6,760 feet. (Twin Bridges was below 5,000 feet, our first “low” elevation since Cañon City.)

The climb put the hurt on me. Mark rode like his bike was made of helium. Corey struggled with a balky lower back.

Of course, we immediately descended after the summit. It was fun but we knew we were giving up all that hard-earned elevation.

Next up was Big Hole Pass at 7, 360 feet. Mark zoomed ahead but Corey and I struggled. The increasing headwind didn’t much help.

We rode another high-speed descent into the Big Hole Valley, to arrive at Jackson, a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it small town.

We are staying at The Bunkhouse. The owner gave us each a can of cold beer upon arrival. Ahhh.

It’s a cool place. We’re in a shared bedroom with five queen sized beds. Two other cycle tourist are here. There’s plenty of ventilation so I’m not concerned about Covid. Knock wood.

Miles today: 77. Tour miles: 2,188.5.

Beaverhead rock on the road to Dillon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Massive ranch near Beaverhead Roc
Heart 0 Comment 0
Corey climbing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Big Hole Valley scene
Heart 0 Comment 0
What Montana looks like when you’re climbing
Heart 0 Comment 0
CaptionCutAdd line aboveAdd line belowDelete
Heart 0 Comment 0

Posted on July 1, 2022 by Rootchoppe

Today's ride: 77 miles (124 km)
Total: 2,193 miles (3,529 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0