Day 34 - Lander, Wyoming to Dubois, Wyoming - Bike Tour 2022 - St Louis to Oregon - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2022

Day 34 - Lander, Wyoming to Dubois, Wyoming

They don't call it the Wind River for nothing

We knew today would be hard and it lived up to expectations. We left the motel and rolled next door to McDonalds. After a quick breakfast, we left at 7:10. We had a brief chat with another westbound TransAmer, then we rolled across town and stopped at a grocery for supplies.

After that the real festivities began. Let’s cut to the chase, 82 miles, uphill, into an increasingly strong headwind.

The winds were light initially. We knew this was temporary, after all we would spent most of the day riding through the Wind River Reservation.

We stopped at Fort Washakie at 15 miles for a break. Afterward Mark and I went seven miles off route to check out the burial site of Sacajawea. The cemetery is still in use by the resident Eastern Shoshone tribe.

On our way back to the route we rode through a residential area. Shoshones like dogs. Every house had at least one. Only one gave chase. He was just going for a run with us, his new buddies. For about a mile.

Back on the route the winds were obviously stronger. There were a few climbs but mostly we rode up false flats.

We stopped at Crowheart, a crossroads near the amazing Crowheart butte. Mark wisely decided to buy a gallon of water. We needed it later.

The last 30 miles felt like 60. Mark zoomed ahead and ultimately secured us space in a church hostel in the town of Dubois, pronounced Dew Boys with the emphasis on Dew.

We are exhausted. There will be food, medicine, and sleep.

Sacajawea Memorial at burial site
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jim and Pam – eastbound on the TransAm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crowheart Butte
Heart 0 Comment 0
Note the flags
Heart 0 Comment 0
You have no idea how happy I was to see this sign. The winds continued, however.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Miles today: 82 Tour miles: 1,829.

Today's ride: 82 miles (132 km)
Total: 1,833 miles (2,950 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0