Wurzburg to Kitzingen: Exploring Wurzburg - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2015

Wurzburg to Kitzingen: Exploring Wurzburg

Our day began with breakfast with Wolfgang and Anna. The Hotel Amberger certainly qualified for the full ten jammer designation. Anna and I even had cappuccinos which were included with breakfast.

We would have loved more time with Wolf and Anna but they had to be back in Berlin today. The visit was too short but great and we were able to get caught up on their children, their grandchildren and all the other important stuff. We said goodbye and headed out the door to explore. Imagine our surprise when an Audi with two bikes on the back rolled by with four hands waving (whose were on the wheel??) as they drove by us, having initially gone the wrong way to get out of Wurzburg. I wish we had a picture of that!

Wurzburg was cold this morning! There was a strong wind whistling up the streets and I hadn't put on enough clothes. It was unexpected. We didn't go back for more clothes though, as there was simply too much to see in a short time. We checked out the Dom and the organ playing was exquisite. We went into several stunning churches, but took very few pictures. It is Sunday, and it felt intrusive enough to observe a service. It would have felt downright rude to take pictures so the only church pictures are when the service was over. The congregations must be used to tourists...there were entire tour groups in there, but it feels odd. We tiptoe in and tiptoe out.

We visited the Residence Palace, which is a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site. It is billed as one of the most imposing castles in Europe, and it certainly seemed so to us. Much of it was destroyed in 1945 and the before and after pictures were remarkable.

At about 2 PM we headed back to the hotel to pick up our panniers and bicycles. We admired the Fortress Marienberg from the bike path, and started up the Main.

The scenery just keeps on coming. We stopped for coffee on the way and sat outside overlooking the river. We did an explore of the town of Marktbreit - if we had been a little further along, we would have loved to stay there. What a beautiful spot.

We are in Kitzingen for the night in a great little hotel. We have just had a very large dinner. Both of us could eat only about half of what we were served. We forgot to share! Lesson learned. So now full and happy we are heading to the room, where I am hoping I still have wifi!!!

We have wifi, but it is very slow. Pictures to come.

The following pictures illustrate a 'ten jammer' breakfast. We stuffed ourselves at this one, enjoying a leisurely breakfast with Wolf and Anna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really appreciate it when there is fresh fruit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is typical German breakfast food from what we can see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith loved this breakfast. I did too!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last one. Keith didn't take a picture of the scrambled eggs and sausages, the vegetable trays, or my favourite, the cappuccino machine! We were very, very full by the end.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wolfgang and the bikes. They had a terrific bike tour in Italy, almost all downhill. Their weather was over the top, 35 degrees C and more every day. I love the seat on Wolfgang's bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So great to see them. We hope the next time will be in Canada. Their son Simon will be coming next spring. Hooray!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Public art of the day. A unique fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the bridge into town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View on the bridge. We love the biking culture here. We are seeing many, many other people on bike tours. Build it, and they will come! A great bike route I mean :).
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the bridge, with a Saint.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another Saint.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking into town from the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wurzburg is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interior of one of the stunning churches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another beautiful church. We honestly don't remember which is which!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The residenz was really quite amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back to the Hotel Amberger for the panniers. Time to get riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View leaving town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Segways from a Viking river cruise on the bike path. They were having a great time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down on the Surly ponies from our coffee stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Feathered residents on the bike path overlooking the river, and our shoulders hoping to share our lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another way to bike tour. It looked great.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith was pulling out the camera to take a picture. This woman struck a pose to demonstrate his quick and thankfully successful reflexes catching it before it hit the ground. She was really laughing. He did put on quite a performance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marktbreit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We remember going through here on the fast train last year on our way to Berlin, as the name reminded us of our sons Mark and Brett. We had no idea it was so beautiful. You don't see much at 200 km an hour!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More public art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ogopogo and Cadborosaurus have ancestors in Germany from Marktbreit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our stop for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 342 km (212 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0