Seligenstadt to Kreuzwertheim: Meandering up the Main - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2015

Seligenstadt to Kreuzwertheim: Meandering up the Main

Keith writing today, helping out with the blog. Overall a great day on the bikes. We got an earlier start than yesterday so we were able to put on few more kms. Our day started with the typical German breakfast included in the price of the room. We were on the road about 9:30.

The scenery got progressively better throughout the day. By midday we were cycling past our first vineyards situated on steep hillsides reminding us of the Mosel.

We did a short ride and walk through Aschaffenburg then carried on, stopping later for a riverside lunch and then again for a coffee. The highlite today was our tour through Miltenberg. It was very busy with tourists and cruise ship tours.

The cycle path today was excellent with most of it running along the river. Everything is green ... no drought here.

Throughout the day you commonly see a variety of users on the cycle path. One common user is Germans of the elderly variety. These individuals quite often appear to be be wearing a stern facial expression, but we find they are very friendly when approached.

Other users include many people on bike tours and day rides including retired types similar to us, and mostly Germans I assume. There were a few grandfathers pushing their grandchild in a stroller. Still other users were people on tandems including a couple with a lady on a regular bike hooked to a recumbent powered by the use of his arms. Pretty impressive.

We arrived in Kreuzwertheim and found the Landgasthof Franz and have enjoyed a hot shower and an evening in their dining room. A fantastic day.

Our hotel in Seligenstadt. The owner is great, and a cyclist too. Cozy room and a fantastic bike storage room, with bikes valet delivered in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Public art of the day. We are not sure what it is, but we liked it. It was right by the bike path on the Main, so perhaps represents an old ship?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some beautiful horses watching the Surly ponies go by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A river cruise vessel tied up next to the bike path. Another way to see the Main, a little less labour intensive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For Linda and Dave. We found a golf course!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is so amazing to come around a bend and see something like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was quite the tandem. He only has the use of his arms, so is horizontal in the back, and she rides a regular bike. We were very impressed by both of them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike paths in Germany are so user friendly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The date on this well caught Keith's eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a bike path! How much fun is this? No wonder it was easy to put in the kilometres today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All of a sudden we were back in wine country. I am drinking one of the local wines as I write this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of those long barges I like so much cleared this lock just as we arrived.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing a bridge, admiring the vines. It just kept getting better today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aren't these two beautiful?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is a loaded tandem coming down the path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And right behind them, one much less loaded.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrived in Miltenberg and went exploring. It was just beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sie kommen!! There is a cruise ship in town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Step aside. You can't beat them, and you don't want to join them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We watched these talented gentlemen until they were through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And we have the street to ourselves again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the interesting buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And another one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on the radweg Keith saw this. I wouldn't let him pick her up. Too heavy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ride was just so fine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Around another bend we came across this random old stuff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We got a kick out of the sheep. The ride was always interesting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was great. What is it?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Why an insect hotel, of course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today had it all. Fishermen...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barges...
Heart 0 Comment 0
And castles. This one overlooks our hotel in Kreuzwertheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room in the Landgasthof Franz, where we just finished an excellent meal. Schnitzel, of course.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 97 km (60 miles)
Total: 193 km (120 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0