Nuremberg to Neumarkt: A Random Act of Kindness - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2015

Nuremberg to Neumarkt: A Random Act of Kindness

We decided to visit the Documentation Center in Nuremberg as it was on our route out of town. We arrived just as it was opening, along with a large crowd of young people. We could hardly get in the door to the exhibit area. Fortunately, the young people weren't as fascinated by the exhibits as we were, or they had some other time constraint, because just as mysteriously as they appeared, they disappeared. There were several tour buses out front, and they must have whisked them away.

We had an audio tour in English that we could do at our own pace, and we were there from 10 AM until after 2. It didn't feel like four hours. The permanent exhibition is called "Fascination and Terror". It covers the rise of Hitler and the Nazi propaganda machine, with a focus on the annual Nuremberg rallies and the construction of the rally grounds, the congress hall and many more structures built to glorify Hitler and the Third Reich. At the conclusion the exhibits were about the Nuremberg trials. The scale of the concept and the construction of the complex was absolutely fascinating. As an example, to get to the centre we rode our bikes across the planned two km 'great road' (only one and a half km were completed) made of black and grey granite pavers. It is so wide the U.S. used it as a landing strip after WW 2. The whole complex was planned to be absolutely massive. It was never completed, with construction ceasing in 1938, if I remember correctly. Six rallies were held at the site.

We stopped in the beautiful park in the surrounding area for lunch, and then headed down the Funf-Flusse Radweg. We had no idea what to expect, and it was a marvellous surprise. Just a great, great ride. It is along the Ludwig Main Donau Canal (there is a name for you) which has 100 locks. It isn't used for boating anymore, but is a recreational gem. The riding surface was a smooth, unpaved surface. The riding was easy and the scenery beautiful. What more could you want? Today is Saturday and it was busy with bikes, joggers, walkers, families...you get the picture.

It also had beer gardens, and we came to one that was so picturesque it couldn't be resisted. We were ordering our beer and I was teasing Keith that there was only one piece of apfel strudel left. He would have to share. The gentlemen ahead of us in line insisted on treating us to his strudel. It was unexpected, and such a wonderful random act of kindness. At the same stop we met a young couple who spoke excellent English and an older German couple who didn't. We had a six way conversation, with the young woman doing the work of translating and all of us having a good time. Both couples were such genuinely nice people. It was just really fun.

After the beer and strudel the last few kilometres flew by and we arrived in Neumarkt. Our hotel is great, we have had dinner and are relaxing after a fantastic day.

Arriving at the park which surrounds the documentation center. We don't have many pictures of this part of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panel which helps convey the size of the annual rallies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The unfinished Congress Hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The coloured parts in the photo no longer exist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are about halfway down the 'great road' here. Gives an idea of the scale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just outside Nurenberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Can you find the water? Great reflections today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No reflections here!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of bridges like this one. I went up the hill, not realizing I could go under the bridge. At the next bridge I was smarter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More reflections.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The irresistible beer garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beer 😀.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The young couple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The older couple. The pictures say it all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And even public art! So this is Public Art of the Day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 599 km (372 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0