Linz to Grein: How to Put Air in a Tire in Austria - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2015

Linz to Grein: How to Put Air in a Tire in Austria

Our hotel in Linz was excellent. A great location and very comfortable. The only downside was that it did not include breakfast, and a 30 Euro additional charge seemed a little steep, so first thing this morning we walked into the old town to find fruhstuck. It is Sunday today, and we always forget to plan for this. Our number one goal was an Austrian SIM card for Keith's phone, and of course everything is closed on a Sunday. I actually think this is very civilized, and I like it. However, I have to remember it!!

So, with no SIM card, and needing wifi for Keith, we had breakfast at McDonalds, which, as every bike tourer knows, has the best wifi in town. Fruhstuck was a deal as well, at two Euro each including a North American size coffee.

Linz is a beautiful city and a large pedestrian zone. I love pedestrian only areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hotel Spitz. Interesting name that made both Keith and I think of sunflower seeds.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we had a loose plan for the day we walked back to the hotel to pick up the bikes. Keith discovered he had a very soft front tire. We set off to find a service station, Keith walking his bike, and me riding behind. Little Miss Sunshine pointed out to Keith during the search phase of this expedition - no SIM, no GPS - that at least we were seeing more of beautiful Linz. He just gave me the look. Things got even funnier once we found a spot. We fussed for probably five minutes trying to figure out how to use the air pump. You have to lift it off a stand, and then, and only then, it will work. We would probably still be there, but a bemused Austrian man watched for a few minutes and then took pity on us. We brought a fitting for our valves, but it wasn't long enough. Fortunately, the same man, who was waiting so patiently for the pump for his bike, had an extension for the extension and we were sorted. Time to hit the road. It was noon!

Leaving Linz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The less scenic part of Linz. You never see this in Viking Cruise Ship ads. I bet they tiptoe by in the dark.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a flat, smooth ride and we had that mythical event, a tailwind. I amused myself for a time making note of the expressions on the faces of people coming the other way. I didn't envy them because it was quite strong. Great for us as we could really cruise. The scenery was good but not spectacular for quite a distance.

Flat as a pancake, and the wind behind us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crossed the river several times today, on a hydroelectric dam and lock here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gerhard, Caruso has a cousin in Austria! Here he is posing with his harem.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cruising the cornfields. Note the tops of those corn stalks. Perfect!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cruised until it was time to cruise across the river on another little ferry. These are fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A picture taken from the bench in Mauthausen where we ate lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And another river crossing on I am not sure what. This was a single lane, controlled by lights, and I was pedalling my little heart out to be sure to get to the other side before we hit oncoming traffic so I wasn't paying attention. As it turned out, I didn't need to be concerned. They are set up for cyclists. I didn't know that until we reached the other side though!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once on the other side of the unknown object, the scenery lit up. Hills with distant villages on top, churches with their spires. Just generally gorgeous.

A village in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love the field in front in this picture. The chief photographer does good work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wouldn't it be dreamy if we had a bike path system like this at home?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Grein, and what a treat. An artisan's market, and a high quality one. We couldn't buy anything, but we could eat bratwurst, sauerkraut and brot, and drink beer. We met some more cycling Canadians on a bike and barge trip. They are having so much fun. They are doing Passau to Vienna as well, so we may see them again. Grein is the cutest little village you can imagine, with a bike shop we are going to visit and a castle too. We made an easy decision to quit for the day, and are tucked up in the Gasthof Zur Traube, which is pretty cute too. What a great place to stop.

Crossing the river for the last time today, over a bridge under construction. You should have seen the infrastructure put into place so bikes could safely cross. It was impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Grein. This picture doesn't do the place justice. There will be better ones tomorrow, I promise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ship our bike and barge friends are on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bikes, parked for the night. I wonder how many people this vessel sleeps? The Canadians we met were part of a group of eighteen from Ottawa. So we aren't the only Canadians in Grein tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,068 km (663 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0