Kramsach to Innsbruck: Into Every Tour a Little Rain Must Fall...But Just a Little - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2015

Kramsach to Innsbruck: Into Every Tour a Little Rain Must Fall...But Just a Little

We had a mostly quiet night in our hotel in Kramsach. The hotel proprietor asked how we slept, and I told him that other than the young men crowing like roosters on the street at 3 AM, it was fine. I wish you could have seen him laugh. He heard them too. It was Saturday night after all, and they were probably returning from Octoberfest celebrations. It was more amusing than annoying.

The weather was supposed to change today, and we were ready for it, but when we got up it was still lovely. We had a great breakfast and asked about making sandwiches for lunch...Sundays and food are always a bit tricky. Once more they encouraged us to go ahead and wouldn't accept any extra. I love these little family run B and B establishments. You meet the nicest people and we usually have a chance to have a good conversation.

The view from our window. The building across the way is also part of the property and is where our delicious breakfast was served.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Heinz (I hope I have that right) and he was great to talk to. He is part of the family run establishment. He has been fishing in BC several times. I didn't think I would meet someone in small town Austria who would know where Terrace is. There are people in BC who don't know that!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a good laugh when we headed back to our room after breakfast. A young man (one of the rooster boys??) was headed down the hallway in his tightie whities, and wasn't expecting me to come around the corner. It took ALL my self control not to wolf whistle! He disappeared into his room in a quick hurry.

As it turned out, the bakery next door was open for business, so we picked up juice and a decadent piece of chocolate cake there to round out the lunch. We left at our usual time!

Marzipan cats and dogs in the bakery. We didn't buy any of those.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was the cake that got our attention, and we did buy some of that. Chocolate!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride was terrific. We are on the Inn Radweg now and saw our first touring cyclists since we left the Passau to Vienna route. There were lots of people enjoying the cycle paths today because it was Sunday. One family went by in full spandex, Mom and the two kids on bikes, and Dad cruising along behind on cross country ski type roller blades. Boy, did he look uber fit, and could he move. Another time we saw a Dad jogging, with his two kids pacing him on their bikes.

Our first unexpected sight was a beautiful young women with a beautiful horse in the underpass below the railway tracks. She and a friend were taking photos of the horse, so we did too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
He was a beauty. She had even polished his hooves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A castle in the distance, and clouds starting to gather.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical trail today and another castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rural scenery is stunning. We feel so lucky to be on bikes and not roaring down the autobahn.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bike routes are so well marked here you really don't need a map, which is good, because we don't have one for this portion of the route. Keith has his Galileo app though, so I just trustingly follow him. We stopped for lunch and chocolate cake (yum yum) at a picnic table with an awesome view.

By early afternoon there were very threatening skies ahead, but the rain didn't start until the last hour into Innsbruck, and fortunately it didn't add up to much. So we arrived at our hotel slightly damp, but happy. We showered, napped and woke up to a cloudless sky. Really. I couldn't believe it myself. We headed out for a good preliminary explore of the old town and a great dinner.

Trail signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another example.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went by these sheep and baaed at them. Shortly after we took the picture two touring cyclists going the other way went by and they baaed too. Human nature!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking ahead. Oh dear!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Really? We felt like we were cycling into the abyss.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But despite looking dire it never really amounted to much. Lucky us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Into Innsbruck after just a tiny bit of navigational confusion. I bet we are the rare tourists who can say we have seen the Austrian recycling plant not once, not twice, but three times! I sometimes wonder at home where all the stuff I so carefully separate and recycle actually goes, but I can tell you in Austria they are definitely recycling. It was a huge operation. I wish we had thought to take a picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then after a little napping, look at the sky!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful setting for a city. On our way to dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,725 km (1,071 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0