St Jean de Luz - Clermont-Ferrand to Biarritz 2000 - CycleBlaze

October 2, 2000

St Jean de Luz

Another day of changed plans.  We’d hoped to stay in Sare (only six miles away) and take a hike to the summit of La Rhune - but the day was uniformly grey and wet again so we decided to continue on to Vera de Bidasoa instead, closer to San Sebastián.  Instead of sticking to even that plan though, we spent a lot of the day huddled under roadside trees waiting out cloudbursts.

Vera was basically shut down when we arrived, with only one hotel (closed).  So we improvised again and veered north to Saint Jean de Luz on the coast.  This involved a significant 10 km climb over a ridge shouldering La Rhune.  We enjoyed great views toward the coast from the summit, and then enjoyed an easy 10 km coast to the coast.  

Saint Jean de Luz is a delightful town, and a great place to sit out a damp afternoon.  We’re very pleased by this development.   From many interesting options, we selected a wonderful seafood restaurant - perhaps the best of the trip.  We enjoyed it enough that we made a reservation to eat here a few second time when we stay in  Saint Jean again on our way east to Biarritz and our flight home.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0