That's better - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2022

That's better

Day 37 -  Béziers to Sète

Where our bikes slept.
Heart 7 Comment 0
A rare picture of your author.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Sorry, I haven't got much to say about today... However, the kilometres were covered with a bit less moaning and groaning than yesterday, despite some poor sleep and not great nutrition. So many things can make a day easier or harder without being obvious, even after the fact. What you did yesterday, what you ate, whether the wind was more against you or more intense, the surfaces you cycled on...

We didn't see anything funny or lewd in Agde, though it was a bit of a funny place. Lots of caravan parks, theme parks, horses, boats, birds, palm trees, it was like a little Florida.

Route barrée.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Okay, these were pretty funny.
Heart 4 Comment 0

As we passed the salt marshes along comparatively second rate canal paths and scenery, and neared Sète, things became much more attractive. We began to see lots of tourists, lots of walkers and cyclists and even roller bladers, which we shared a rather sandy sea-side path with.

Sète isn't anywhere I've heard of, and it's nowhere near the famous hotspots of Cannes or Nice. Still though, it is a town on the Mediterranean in the South of France, and other people are obviously more in the know than we are. It's crowded! Lots of people hanging out in bars and restaurants, lots of boats in the many wharfs and docks, and, from our brief cycle through it, it has enough charm to warrant it.

We are thinking of getting a train tomorrow to bypass Marseilles, which I believe to be an enormous sprawling metropolis - AKA a cycling nightmare. Also we hope Italy will be cheaper!

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 1,394 km (866 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonIf you haven’t locked in your plan yet, you might consider riding to Aigues-Mortes, through the Camargue, and maybe pick up with the train in Martigues. It’s the flattest region in southern France.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ali JaryDefinitely swerve Marseilles - far too busy ! Nite nite ❤️🌈
Reply to this comment
2 years ago