Round three: knockout - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

February 27, 2022

Round three: knockout

Day 9 - Acebo de San Miguel to Astorga

Well, it was a good thing we didn't try and do all the climbing yesterday - we had another 2+ hours of incredibly steep road to deal with as an appetiser to the day.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
So steep in places we had to push, despite the smooth surface!
Heart 6 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis climb! I’d forgotten all about it somehow. We followed the same route from Ponferrada to Astorga three years ago. On the way we passed a pilgrim hauling his belongings behind him in a wooded cart, walking to Santiago from his home in Poland.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Scott AndersonHow could you forget!! A total killer.
Wow, we've met some interesting peregrinos but nobody as interesting as that!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
What is this, the Himalayas??
Heart 6 Comment 0

Eventually though, we got our just desserts! What a pleasure it was to cruise along at twenty, thirty, forty kilometres an hour without straining and huffing and sweating!

Interesting mossy forests near the top.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stopped for a leisurely two coffees in another nice town after a few kilometres of descending, and then positively flew all the way to Astorga. We probably did more kilometres in the last hour than we did in the previous two days combined.

Astorga looks like a beautiful town, with many open plazas, old buildings including a fabulous cathedral, and a great deal of history - we can see ancient ruins covered by glass from the window of our rather luxe room in a spa hotel! There's also a chocolate museum!

The one catch is there wasn't a huge amount of choice in places to stay - lots of places say temporarily closed - and nowhere cheap.

Room with a view.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We feel about due for another rest day, but may have to move onto León which looks like it has a few more budget options. Or maybe not! The budget is out of the window at this point. I hope to reel it in soon.

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 214 km (133 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0